Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Musical Kaleidoscope of America




En route.  A bit more security at the BJ airport after the Kunming incident.  But not much.  People are beginning to dress more and more like its spring.  Huge coats look increasingly unnecessary.  I’ve got my triple expresso at the Costa Coffee perch in the grand hall.  It doesn’t have the same majesty of a Grand Central, though it is larger by far.  A manta like maw, as I once described it, people entering through the baleen and shot out the back.  Off to that international terminal in the rear, now. 

I tried to pause mid flight and jot down some thoughts.  I’ll have a drink.  No you won’t.  United wants now to charge for alcohol on international flights.  I guess I should be thankful that the pillows are still complementary.   I’m doing my best to ignore the inane complementary movie that everyone is subjected to projected on to screens above and in front.  I am being made to watch, challenged to ignore some cornball coming of age drama.  A nervous red head kid who looks like Mark Zuckerburg is drinking too much at a party.  Now he’s graduating.  I’m back in my book, but, alas, I 情不自禁[1] , and now he’s getting married, he looks ever more implausible as he ages enough but not at all, to have a child.  We’re obliged to take in every facile milestone of this poorly wrought character’s life. I wish I could fast forward to his funeral. 

It could be a shattering work of insight.  I don’t believe I need anything more than these infrequent glances to make this judgment call.  Now we have another bit of futuristic nonsense full of kids with magic powers.  United needs to know that I would pay more.  I would happily pay a premium if they would just turn off  all movies.     



He must have heard my plea.  Our friendly United CEO Jim Smisek is now making an announcement to the passengers.  He is telling us about how United has the rights to Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue” and how it is now firmly and utterly associated with United in everyone’s mind.  I’m not sure that undeniable marketing success is something to brag about.  No one can think of this American masterpiece without imagining inflight food service.  Isn't the song in the public domain by now?  George wrote the unforgettable melody back in 1924, not soaring above the country, but click clacking along on a train, from New York to Boston:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_in_Blue

It was on the train, with its steely rhythms, its rattle-ty bang, that is so often so stimulating to a composer – I frequently hear music in the very heart of the noise.... And there I suddenly heard, and even saw on paper – the complete construction of the Rhapsody, from beginning to end. No new themes came to me, but I worked on the thematic material already in my mind and tried to conceive the composition as a whole. I heard it as a sort of musical kaleidoscope of America, of our vast melting pot, of our unduplicated national pep, of our metropolitan madness. By the time I reached Boston I had a definite plot of the piece, as distinguished from its actual substance.”

Change over in SF.  Cloudy!  I had this sharp sun in my mind, but it isn’t here.  There is a low cloud cover, which is normal enough every day in San Francisco, but not out here near Burlingame.  I snapped a few tired, shots of the “South San Francisco, The Industrial City” which isn’t likely to be very industrial at all any more, all of whatever manufacturing had been there having moved over to where I’m from.  I will have to wait for any sun.  But not for a triple shot Peet’s espresso.  I know just where to find it.

Flying down the California coast, over the water and the mountains, some of which even have snow, it’s quick jump down to San Diego.  OK.  Now we have some sun.  Strong, undeniable glow that forces me to squint.   Alluring, but I’ve been up for thirty some hours now and I’m going give the San Diego Starbucks a miss.  Bag has arrived, exhale.  Where’s the taxi queue?  Mind flash, a Chinese customer dropping two hundred dollars in Las Vegas cabbing it out to a budget hotel he booked on line.  Free airport Wifi and I confirm the place I’m heading is only a few miles from here.



America, always exotic for the first day or two back.  What is normal and protean all seems special.  My cabby, her first fare of the day.  “Yes.  I’m flying in from Beijing.   It nice to see the sun.  Where’s home for you?”  Eritrea?!  Wow.  I am a big fan of Ethiopian music.  Tell me about the music of Eritrea.”  “Here, I’ll put this on.  No.  That is church music.  This one is good.”  “What is the capital of Eritrea?  Asmara? Oh.  Right.  Is it on the coast?  No?  OK.  What are relations with Ethiopia like these days?”  “Ethiopia?  They have lots of problems.”  “I see.”    Welcome to San Diego.

At the hotel, a well-tanned guy who must be my age, drives me over to my bungalow in a golf cart.  He keeps calling me brother.  I kind of like it.  Born in San Diego, got his first surfboard when he was eleven, it is obviously what he lives for.  “We’ve had some awesome swells this past month, my brother.  Just awesome.  Hey, let me show you something.  When you’re heading back to the main lobby, and you always know where it is by the flag pole, up there, you see?.  You can see that from anywhere.  Just cut through this alley back.  Save you ten minutes on the walk back, brother.  Yup.  Right up that way.”  He is easily as exotic as the woman from Eritrea. 

Internet, bathroom, sheets back, afternoon crash.  I’m out brother.  Rise and roll out to the team dinner somewhere by the water.  Another gent and I grab a cab.  This time our driver, a heavy set man with a deep voice hails from Nigeria.  A Yoruban from the west of the country near the border with Benin.  “No, no.  Chiuna Achebe was not Ibo.  He was from another tribe, nearby, but the Ibo claimed him . . .  In the north, yes, there is a tribe of Christians who will not allow the Muslims to build, even one mosque.  They are fierce.   No, no.  I did not like Fela.  He smoked too much.”

The cab ride home is crowded.  I’m in the back.  Multiple conversations. Still, I must ask this lithe young man driving where he’s from. Less loquacious, busy steering, turning, clarifying.  “Me?  Just a minute.  Me?  I’m from Somalia”  Fascinating.  Are there many Somalis here in San Diego?  Oh sure.  Many more in L.A.  But I’ve been here ten years now.  This is my home now.”

Reacquainting myself with my homeland.  Meetings all day.  Margaret Meade, slowly acquainting myself with the customs of a new tribe.  My fresh “foreign” gaze will evaporate soon as my American core reasserts itself over the kaleidoscopic variety that presently fascinates and to which Gershwin referred.  




[1] qíngbùzìjīn:  unable to restrain emotions / cannot help

No comments:

Post a Comment