Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Rivers and Sliver Lodes




Just over the Hudson for the sixth and last time on this trip.  I’d crossed first down, over the George Washington Bridge the day we arrived and spent most of my time on the eastern shore.  The other day I drove to New Jersey for a meeting and crossed like today over the Beacon-Newburgh, Hamilton Fish Bridge.  Coming back I made my way across the Bear Mountain Bridge which looked so good I fumbled in my pocket, foolishly and snapped a few photos while driving over.  Yesterday we were over in New Paltz and crossed the Mid-Hudson Bridge twice in one day.  And as my kids have probably heard me say a dozen times before, “Look, who is that?  Right.  That’s (an albeit small and rudimentary painting of) FDR and Eleanor, (beside an even smaller painting of George Washington.)  And each time I cross, it feels exalted.   Never fails. 



Newark airport never feels exalted.  But it’ll do.   Back to Beijing this morning with the family on a direct flight and as always we’ve covered some ground and as well as some rivers, 大江南北[1].  I suppose this will be fourteen hours or so.   People complain about it but United’s alright with me.   I fly em’ enough so they treat me right and they hold all my miles.  I certainly fly the partner airline Air China much more frequently, but those are quick flights and the special treatment bit is less important.  Any way, this is an insipid little eddy. Who cares?

Perhaps more interesting is the bit about Abe’s recent announcement of sanctions against Russia.  Tough, but not too tough.  Post-Fukashima Japan must look for alternative energy sources and per the $500B, biggest commercial deal in the history of all commercial deals, deal, between Russia and China for gas, Japan needs to consider options for its energy future.  Russia must look to where it can shove a wedge between the U.S. and its allies.  If Russia really wanted to force a wedge they should consider offering up some or all of the Kurile Islands that mean so much to Japan and which they ignominiously occupied in the final days of the war they had only entered against Japan a few days prior.  Similarly, this might be Japan’s moment to force the long dormant issue to a head, seeing how they’re being courted.  The distrust between those two nations is old, but not as immutable perhaps as some in our neighborhood.

Island hopping; let’s turn to Haiti.  I had the good fortune to visit that island back in 1989.   The transitional military strong man, Avril was in power.  Aristide was still, merely an activist priest, laying low, and the U.S. invasion, the earthquake, the aftermath were all yet to be.  And down in the city of Jacmel on the south of the island I can remember trying to get my hands around the country’s music.  I can recall being surprised that it sounded like salsa, which I’d yet to have developed a taste for.  There on the beach in Jacmel around the very last evening of the 1980’s, on New Years, the restaurant had done something interesting, wherein there were two acoustic calypso bands performing.  One would play and then make way for the other.  Then the other would return the favor.  This carried on nicely until one band went on a bit long.  I can still see the face of the maraca player of the waiting band who whose visage belied the creole, patois version of “the hell with this.” So he and the lads started up playing before the current performers were done.  Eventually the other band yielded, not before divulging facial frowns and scowls beneath the celestial sound of uplifting harmonies of their voices.  And then, of course, the jilted band returned the favor when they felt it was their time, interrupting the performing quartet whenever they determined that time was up.  I’ve never seen a more compelling “battle of the bands.”

I bought a few albums while I was there, in Port Au Pprince, and had some downloads of bands like Coupe Cloue that I found here and there but somehow I’ve never really sampled anything that lived up to the potential of what one would imagine Haiti had in store, given its history and its neighborhood.  And I note that, to my discredit, I never really tried, the way I have with just about every other major neighboring island.   So I was quite pleased yesterday, indeed, I believe I used the phrase “holy shit” in my thank you letter to my friend who sent me a link on Rdio yesterday to “Haiti Direct - Big Band, Mini Jazz & Twoubadou Sounds, 1960-1978.”  Now we’re talking.  This collection leaps right up at you like a Llegba possession in a Maya Deren dance scene.



My French is poor and my Creole is worse, so I’m not going to try to suggest what the second song “Choc Vikings” is all about, though it certainly sounds like a General Mills Scandinavian cereal brand, but I can tell you that I like it.  I’m still getting my hands around it all but upon the first listening or three it sounds more like West African music of the time, say from Guinea, that is clearly influenced by Afro Latin jazz but rooted in something distinct, less polished, more assertive.  I hope this proves to be the initial flakes of silver, surfacing downstream from some beckoning Comstock Lode. 

Signs for Newark are up ahead.  I believe the Polaski Skyway is off to the right.  A great name from years of youthful traffic reports on New York radio.  My driver just informed me that it only runs in one direction.  I’ll have to look up precisely who Pulaski [1]was.


[1] Casimir Pulaski was a Polish military leader and the father of the American cavalry








The guy who handled our bags at the check in was from Haiti! He let me slide on the overweight bag.  I showed him the "Haiti Direct" album but he didn't recognize it  We laughed about it anyway.  New York's the best.  





[1] dàjiāngnánběi: lit. both sides of the Yangtze River (idiom) / fig. throughout a vast area

No comments:

Post a Comment