Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Summary 320




Up early.  It sounds good, but I crashed out early.  We had guests over and I should have stayed up long enough to bid them a good evening.  Rather, I went to put my little one to bed and wound up setting off for nod.  I can always wake up whenever I need to, but I cannot stay up past the time my body says consciousness is about to cease.  It’s futile.  I always pause when I read about sentinels, foot soldiers and other grunts that are told, “stay vigilant at your post all night.  If you’re caught asleep, you’ll be shot.”  No matter what I did to prick my skin, bite my tongue or hold my breath, it would be only a matter of time before I was found there, asleep, court martialed or worse.

Today we pause to consider another nineteen entries, bringing us now to 320.  Only two more such summaries remain till we pause this annual cycle and do something else.  Looking over this last batch I’m bewildered considering the last summary doc.  Was I really in a Sheraton in Lisbon, preparing to drive off again into the Portuguese countryside?  There is a title per the time a few days later when I drove by Rudy van Gelder’s house.  Was that really me?  Just a few days ago, was I really en-route to Hong Kong?  



Sitting here quietly in my office, I’m looking out at the rug we bought in Arraiolos, outside of Evora in the Alentejo.  My wife wisely moved it in to this room, away from the door out to the muddy porch.  It has a white background and it certainly would have been quickly muddied up if it were left there.  Yes, this work traveled with me back here, with me.  Yes, that was me, that was us moving and moving and moving.  I have a meeting down town today and already I can feel that I don’t want to go.  Sitting here, I’m disinclined to go anywhere.

I will arise and go now to the lake isle of Stairmaster.



Cheng Yu
1. 千古罪人: qiāngǔzuìrén: sb condemned by history (idiom)
2. 兔子惊扰túzìjīngrǎo: to alarm oneself unnecessarily (idiom)
3. 铁树开花tiěshùkāihuā: lit. the iron tree blooms (idiom) / a highly improbable or extremely rare occurrence
4.  荣华富贵:  rónghuáfùguì: glory, splendor, wealth and rank (idiom); high position and great wealth
5. 悬崖峭壁 xuányáqiàobì:  sheer cliffs and precipitous rock faces (idiom)
6. 翦草除根: jiǎncǎochúgēn: lit. cut grass and pull out roots (idiom); fig. to destroy root and branch / to eradicate
7.双瞳剪水: shuāngtóngjiǎnshuǐ: clear, bright eyes (idiom)
8. 水泄不通 shuǐxièbùtōng: lit. not one drop can trickle through (idiom); fig. impenetrable (crowd, traffic)
9. 刻骨铭心kègǔmíngxīn: lit. carved in bones and engraved in the heart (idiom) / fig. etched in one's memory / unforgettable
10. 同仇敌忾 tóngchóudíkài: anger against a common enemy (idiom); joined in opposition to the same adversary
11. 背信弃义bèixìnqìyì:  breaking faith and abandoning right (idiom); to betray / treachery / perfidy     
12. 大江南北 dàjiāngnánběi: lit. both sides of the Yangtze River (idiom) / fig. throughout a vast area
13. 一盘散沙:  yīpánsǎnshā: lit. like a sheet of loose sand / fig. unable to cooperate (idiom): lit. like a sheet of loose sand / fig. unable to cooperate (idiom)
14. 家贫如洗 jiāpínrúxǐ: extreme poverty (idiom); destitute / penniless / poor as church mice
15. 别开生面  biékāishēngmiàn: to start sth new or original (idiom); to break a new path / to break fresh ground
16. 疲于奔命 píyúbēnmìng:  lit. tired of constantly running for one's life (idiom); terribly busy / up to one's ears in work
17. 高飞远走gāofēiyuǎnzǒu: to fly high and run far (idiom); to leave in a hurry for a distance place
18: 纷至沓来 fēnzhìtàlái:  to come thick and fast (idiom)
19. 不厌其烦bùyànqífán:  not to mind taking all the trouble (idiom) / to take great pains / to be very patient

Music Shared
Les Baxter, “Moonscape” from the 1958 album “Space Escapade.”
Charles Kynard, “Little Ghetto Boy” from the 1972 album “Woga.”
Leon Spencer, “Where I’m Coming From” from the 1973 “Where I’m Coming From.”
John Lewis, “Almost Like Being in Love” from the 1954 album, “Grand Encounter.”
Lee Harper’s, 2010 album, “Puget Sound.”
Leo Wright, “State Trooper” from the 1963 album “Soultalk.”
Bobbi Humphrey’s 1971 album “Flute In.”
CK Mann and his Carousel “Afaso Beesoun” from the album “Funky Highlife.”
Lonnie Smith, “Seesaw” from the 1969 album “Turning Point.”
Gil Mellé, “Temepiece” from the 1953 album “The Gil Mellé Quintet.”
Louis Armstrong “Black and Blue” from 1932.
Les Vikings, “Choc Vikings” from the album “Haiti Direct - Big Band, Mini Jazz & Twoubadou Sounds, 1960-1978.”
Odean Pope and the Misled Children’s “Foregone” from the 2008 album, “The Misled Children Meet Odean Pope.”
Catalyst “Little Miss Lady” from 1972 on “The Complete Recordings Volume II.”
Frank Lowe” Play Some Blues” from the 1974 album “Fresh.”
Asha Bhosle album “Jani Mhane Deva”
Alan Shorter, “Orgasm” on his 1968 album “Orgasm”
David Murray, “Jazz is Back” from the 1988 album “Deep River.”
Amy Winehouse, “Stronger Than Me” from the 2002 album “Frank.”

Media Shared
Leon Spencer on Wiki:
Album “Where I’m Coming From” on Wiki
Grady Tate on Wiki:
“Louisiana Slim” album by Leon Spencer on Youtube:
“Louisiana Slim” on Wiki
Leon Spencer Obituary on Jazzwax
A. R. Disney’s “A History of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire.”
Al Venter’s “Portugal’s Guerrilla Wars in Africa”
Hildegarde H. Swift (Author), Lynd Ward  (Illustrator) “The Little Red Light House and the Great Gray Bridge”
Leo Wright on Rdio
Leo Wright on “All About Jazz”
CK Mann and his Carousel’s album “Funky Highlife” on Youtube.
Ai Wei Wei’s show “According to What”
Pindar, the Greek poet of Thebes on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pindar
Rudy van Gelder’s studio on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Gelder_Studio
“Othello” at the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival: http://hvshakespeare.org/2014-season/othello.html
“Haiti Direct - Big Band, Mini Jazz & Twoubadou Sounds, 1960-1978.” 
The Misled Children Meet Odean Pope reviewed on Porter Records
Jose Saramago “Raised From the Ground”
Jose Saramago ““The Gospels According to Jesus Christ.”
Bill Hicks in Montreal on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIA5dL7VJxg
Young Bill Hicks on Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXho9bs54Gk
Monty Python: “Monty Python’s Flying Circus, “The Holy Grail”
David Murray album “Deep River” on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_River_(David_Murray_album)
Amy Winehouse album “Frank” on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_(Amy_Winehouse_album)


  



No comments:

Post a Comment