Saturday, September 20, 2014

Imperfect Inheritance




I thumbed through a list of tunes this morning and came upon Milton Nascimento’s album, “Milton.”  I know the first tune “Para Lennon and McCartney” well and figured that would suffice to move reluctant legs.  I can remember hearing it for the first time here and playing it for a friend’s first time driving around in Los Angeles.  The break is pregnant with expectation, phat, embraceable. I couldn’t place the rest of the album in my mind and would have to just dig in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Nascimento



Recorded in 1970 around the same year the Beatles broke up, I’ve been able to discern a few words here and there.  I was determined to have a look and see precisely what it said.  Having just done so my guess is that this is one of those times when Google translate is just particularly unsuccessful at capturing nuance.  That or the lyrics are a string of strong but ultimately incomprehensible, 迷离徜恍[1] intimations.

Why do not you know the western garbage?
not longer fear
not need the loneliness
Every day is a day to live
Why did you not see my west side?
not need to fear not
need no shyness
Every day is a day to live
I'm from America South
I know, you will not know
But now I'm cowboy
I am gold, I am you
I am in the world, Minas Gerais am
Why do not you know the western garbage?
not longer fear
not need the loneliness
Every day is a day to live
I'm from South America
I know, you will not know
But now I'm cowboy
I'm gold, I am you

“Western garbage?”  Their music?  His neighborhood?  “My west side”?  What did we miss?  “Now I am cowboy”?  Certainly something the Beatles never claimed, nor, did I think the people of Minas Gerais.  “I’m gold, I am you.”  That last bit is redeeming and ultimately comprehensible.

He has a remarkable falsetto  and beautiful arrangements that move from reflective to infectious with his steady, cubical acoustic guitar.  The background sounds always evoke something out there in the jungle as if we’re heading out up the Amazon with Claude Lévi-Strauss, in “Tristes Tropiques.”  I’ve got the album on before “Milton” which is simply titled “Milton Nascimento” where the production is a bit more pared down, but his lovely voice carries through.  Born in Minas Gerais in 1942 he remains active at 71.

Fascinating collection of ten year-old ladies swarmed our place last night. Two different schools were in attendance and there were South Koreans, and Czechs and Canadians and Chinese and they made clothes and painted on the wall and seemed to enjoy the various kids dishes I’d made for them. I couldn’t have been happier and my younger one is going through a bit of reengagement with the Beatles and she wanted to play Sgt Pepper and the sound track from “Help!” Cooking, chopping, serving with “Fixing a Hole” or “You’re Gonna Loose That Girl,” it may as well have been my birthday. 



Fascinating article about Chinese touring in Paris this morning in the New York Times.  It’s hard to imagine that people are so naïve as to assume that Paris is just fairy tale shopping trip, but this seems to be the bubble that is rather abruptly ruptured for plane loads of Chinese tourists who are arriving spending and leaving disgruntled.  The article makes the point that where as Japanese tourists were somewhat reserved, this lot is assertive and finding it rubs the wrong way with French waiters.  If anything this helps to confirm form me that I will try to pick the worst, least populated season for a visit so we don’t add to the gêne combinée  of an American, Chinese family. 

What a remarkable generation gap this crop of entitled Chinese are going to have with their parents one of these days.  The one doesn’t understand eating bitterness and the other is eventually going to call them, on the imperfect bargains with stability that they will hand off as an inheritance.




[1] mílíchǎnghuǎng:  indistinct / blurred / bewildering / confusing to the eye (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment