Thursday, September 25, 2014

This Isn't News




Once again, writing from my office, here in seat 38D.  Once again forced to confront the Air China in-flight entertainment, projected before me on a large screen.  In this case it is the peculiar indignity of not just a third party company’s advertisement but, rather, an award ceremony for stewardesses of Air China itself.  They feel no shame to take up thirty minutes of our time, “entertaining" us by advertising themselves.  I must have seen, but never heard, this nonsense seventeen times by now.  The young ladies are all marching out in front of a military band.  This is cast, and coordinated oddly as news.  CCTV is presenting this epic “news” tale of the carrier’s exceptional service.  Sometimes my host country is simply odd.  Anyone else onboard this crack of dawn flight down to Shanghai from Beijing note how unbelievably facile and un-entertaining this is?  xingwenlianbo”, “News Broadcast”, how dare you?  How can Air China’s stewardess award ceremony be considered news or entertainment, something that needs to be 奔走相告[1]? 

The breakfast cart just trotted by.  “Chinese or Western breakfast?” “Neither please.”  The wisest thing I’ve said all day.  The beverage cart followed.  “A cup of tea, please.”  Like every lady on the screen this young lady smiled at me, though oddly, it was genuine.  The tea felt good on my sore throat. 



Driving out early, the city is already swelling with activity in the suburbs at 6:00AM.  My friend who accompanied me marveled all the changes he was ingesting, from the time he’d lived there ten years prior.  Give it another ten years and I presume this New Convention Center neighborhood will be completely urbanized into sprawl that is in no way distinguished from what’s inside the fifth ring road, and the fourth ring road, and the third, like Virginia Lee Burton's "Little House."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_House

I saw sheep yesterday in the woods near Wang Jing along the Jing Mi road and I recalled how there used to be flocks of sheep and goats everywhere out here fifteen years ago, and mule driven carts inside of Dongcheng, twenty years back.  My friend showed me a photo of a sign he’d snapped at Yihuyuan the day before announcing in bold letters that they would not serve Japanese.  I don’t remember that from twenty years ago either.   No Han Chinese brave enough, it seems to call this racism out publically, as beneath a great civilization, beneath a great metropolis. 

Unexpected it was when I arrived at the check in gate this morning.  “Yes sir, I have your name on the 7:20AM flight, but the passport number that is in here is completely different from this one here.”  “Huh? How could that be?”  I do this flight every week.  Just read my blog.  “Can you double check?”  My wife had booked the ticket.  I called home.  Everyone asleep.  I called the travel company: “this department is closed.”  Increasingly frantic I crossed the line of intimation and suggested that I’d get a new ticket if necessary.  I couldn’t miss this flight.  I reached my wife finally and she was flummoxed for a bit and then, said she must have given them my old passport number, (even though CTRIP has the proper number on file) and when the young lady heard the matching number read from the phone, suddenly, magically, I was cleared to fly.  Walking off I marveled, thankful for one of those many times where it is so wonderful to be in China, instead of the United States, where a mis-matched passport number would be a one-way trip to the ticket purchase line, no exceptions. 



Don’t know much about the Brazilian bandleader Ataulfo Alves.  I have his tune “Vida de Minha” (“My Life”) and it must be from the late forties or early fifties.  (remarkably, to me at least, it is from 1962, after the bosa nova craze had begun)  To my ears it all sounds rather influenced by, Afro Cuban jazz.  I hear Machito and Benny More.  Rhythmically there is something essential, perhaps Angolan, that is distinctly Brazilian, though much of the arrangement is certainly derivative.  The Middle Passage for Brazil began largely in modern day Angola, unlike the Ashanti, Yoruban origins that populated much of the British colonies in the Americas.  As I write I pause, having just been specific about British colonies, as I assume that French colonies were sourced with African slaves from Senegal and Benin, but I’m not sure.  Similarly, from what part of West Africa did Spain procure its human chattel for the cane fields of Cuba?  A quick look on line and it remains unclear. 

I presume that the musical influence flowed south from Cuba, south from New York to Brazil in those early years of jazz, before Antonio Carlos Jobim and Joao Gilberto reverse the tide in the other direction.  Did Brazilian music have much influence on the Caribbean or in the Jazz scene of the 40s? All this can be pursued when we land.  As, well as discerning what “minha” means in Portuguese.  ("my") The rest of the album has much more typically “Brazilian” sensibilities.  What is the name of that Joao Gilberto song where he ponders the happiness of the citizenry at Carnival, in spite of their poverty?  I dreamt of that song the other night and this reminds me of the trombone break in that song, as being some how quintessentially Carinval-esque.  (I just went through about 30 of his songs and came up short.  More on-line researching, some other time.)






[1] bēnzǒuxiānggào: to spread the news (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment