Friday, September 12, 2014

Who Gets to Be Cao Cao?




Back in the back of the plane.  May be here a while . There was a foul rain this morning that started before dawn. Torrents of rain slamming against the thirteenth floor windows.  Once upon a time I might have been thankful for my crops or worried about the leak in the roof.  My immediate concern hearing rain out the window in Shenzhen is that all flights will be delayed.  Speeding out the sun cleared, but I was completely set on the idea of lateness, so I was quite surprised when the lady told me the plane had already landed and that it would depart on time.  “Really?”  I even joked with the gal as she processed my ticket.  “Why I would have thought on a day like this . . . “  She laughed.  “I know.”  I smiled back. 

An hour or so later I’m sitting here on the wet tarmac.  When I boarded the plane there was no rain.  Now it’s pouring down.  As happens, 天雨路滑[1].  I’m all about safety first but it sure does seem to happen her every damn time it rains in China.  I don’t seem to think of it as an automatic on-time-departure tragedy if I see rain in the US.  OK, torrential downpours, hurricanes, blizzards?  We won’t be leaving. But, just rain?  And rather than be considerate and in order to save money that would otherwise be needed if we were able to wait outside we are herded in, buckled up and told we aren’t going anywhere, anytime soon, once again.   There isn’t one available, but if there was a straight shot high-speed train from here to Beijing that took, say, nine hours.  I would strongly consider it next time.  They have chargers. 

The monitors are down.  The entertainment is up.  We’ll try to keep you settled in with our happy situation comedy starring doe-eyed boys and pouty minxes.  Oh look, someone is frowning.  The thoughtful folks at Shenzhen Airlines have decided to publically broadcast the soundtrack as well.  Audible, very.  Frightening but for my headphones. Hank Jones “Odd Number” is faking and falling just as it ought to.  I was going to say the drummer is incredible and rave about how I would have to look up this fascinating and new name.  Rather it is, Max Roach.  No surprise he dazzles each time.  I should take a mental note to dig deeper into all of his work when I’m back on the ground. 



This morning after hours of work, I had on Jef Gilson whom I was lead to through a friend’s detour with Lloyd Miller and his Oriental Jazz.  The album of his I had on, as I was returning from the shower this morning was turned up high as the laptop would take.  It sounded like someone’s thoughtful 1950 ‘arkestral’ spaceship repair process on a pod catty-corner to Sun Ra’s lot.  Diving, swinging almost these atonal melodies hooked and locked in a way that made you want to raise an eyebrow and dip your chin. Even the goofy, big-enough-for-seven-people-suite with its faux Napoleonic detail felt cool with Jef Gilson on.

Born in Guebwiller in 1926 the French pianist, composer, arranger and big band leader has three albums profiled up on Rdio, which appear to be latter day collections as they all have the same approximate packaging.   I didn’t sync it to my phone and I’m not on line now so I don’t remember the tunes name nor can I discern the years when they were recorded.  I’ll add when I land.

The playful alternate take of "Inca Chant" was recorded in 1969 and sounds like Gong might have been popping by when it was recorded.

One minor tragedy passed with a short, vexing duration of only twenty-five minutes or so.  I am completely in love with my Patrick Leigh Fermor book “Between the Water and the Trees” and thoughtful, I managed to leave it, I discovered as I reached for it on the plane, back in the hotel bathroom where I’d been reading it.  These auto-upgrade rooms are often cavernous with vast tracks of dead space and multiple toilets.  Easy it is to double check and still over look some forgotten corner; he pleaded feebly.  I called Starwood, they called the hotel for me and sure enough they have it and will send on.  All’s well. 



Meanwhile I had a fabulous ride out to the airport with a guy from Harbin who loved to talk politics and international relations.  It really is a different ride with the standard Shenzhen cabbie from, say, Hunan. I realized that these days, I think I already know what will transpire and I’m defensive of my time so I don’t bother to talk to people.  Time was when it was the greatest language lab going and then you get soft and you get old and into habits.  This guy, Mr. Geng, was spirited and thoughtful and it was great to get into it with him.  One thing he stated, I’ll tell you about before my battery runs out.  He made the point, and is probably bandied about in the Chinese press all the time and not necessarily Mr. Geng’s IP,  that the current world order reflects “San Guo” aka “The Romance of the Three Kingdoms;” with Russia, China and The United States, representing the three, sparing, territories. 

This raises a few immediate questions:  Who gets to be Liu Bei, the hero and the traditional true claimant to the Han throne?  “China.  Who else?.”  Grinning I asked, “Then who gets to be . . . " the arch villain who wins through ruthlessness and indeed, historically was the victor, “Cao Cao”?  “You Americans, of course”  “I see.  Who is your Kong Ming then?”  You need a ZhuGe Liang, badly.  Is that the technology prowess of We Chat?”  No person came to his mind and at this point his metaphor began to collapse a bit because there was no one that sang out as a Lord Guan, leader of unimpeachable courage and honor either.  Perhaps a wee bit of the forever furious and indomitable Zhang Fei?  But certainly no current leader fits that bill, though the lads in the navy at the outer-islands strategy department may have his poster on the wall. 











[1] tiānyùlùhuá:  roads are slippery due to rain (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment