Sunday, September 2, 2018

Domestic, In the Main





I had confirmed a date to teach a Chinese corporate client back in March.  They cancelled at the last moment.  I’d nagged at my contact there for weeks.  And then they rescheduled and I confirmed.  But I shouldn’t have.  The date was it turns out, the same day I was supposed to be teaching in Shanghai.  They’d changed my schedule.  I’d confirmed too soon.  So I asked if another day might work.  The contact was aghast and implored me to find a way.  So I called the school, did a bit of horse trading and I found a way.

The company, is one of China’s largest.  Their mission is domestic, in the main.  But this group concerns itself with things international. I was tasked to speak with them about cultural acuity.  I asked them and they had colleagues from many different countries, there on the campus.  “Where?” I asked.  “Cameroon.”  “The Ukraine.” “Egypt.”  “OK, then.  Those are the countries we will use, for part of this exercise.” 



They also had projects underway and projects under consideration for abroad.  Again, “Where?”  “We do work in the Philippines.”  “Well, then, we’ll need to learn about the place, quickly.  “We do work in Australia.”  Perfect.  Let’s see what we can assemble about there, and about the Sudan, and about Myanmar as well. 

Everyone broke out and assembled info quickly using one or another method about the country I assigned.  And soon they were all reporting in credibly about what their company could do there, what they might say to colleagues in the elevator from that other land.   



Sometimes you have a room and sometimes you don't.  Today went well.  I don't want to sound hoary but whenever I work with young Chinese professionals like these it seems imperative to remind them of how fortunate they all are to lead international lives denied their parent's generation.  I know they've heard it before.  And still . . . 



Friday 5/25/18



No comments:

Post a Comment