Sunday, September 2, 2018

Last Night And Determine





I know.  I’ll stay up all night.  That will allow me to catch up on all that work that looms like a mudslide.  Nap from 11:00PM till 2:00AM in a bed that isn’t comfortable.  I get to work.  I can do this.  I need to meet someone at the airport in eight hours but that’s just another time. After an hour or two I’m tired.  That’s not right.  I’m supposed to be refreshed and limitless. 

It’s this damned comfy chair, what’s at fault.  I should sit in the straight back chair.  I’m trying to secure an invitation letter for a Russia visit.  It’s complicated.  There are different stories for what you need and what’s to be done. I have someone now in St. Petersburg who answers my email.  I answer his.  He answers mine.  I answer his.  We’re making progress.  It’s becoming clearer.  I still don’t have a hotel to sponsor me but he doesn’t think the specific hotel is necessary. 



At 6:00AM I consider working straight on through till my airport run but I know I will be a zombie in that world and surrender to the horizontal, which feels marvelous as I doze and depart. 

9:00AM is upon me quickly, of course.  But I hadn’t expected to want to cling to this sleep as desperately as I now want to.  There’s a bit of a head ache and the perfume of regret.  And I recall the obligatories I'd disposed of last night and determine it may have been worth it. 



Out at the airport I talk the driver into picking up my cousin and then returning back home straight away thereafter. “I can do that.” Says my driver. “but we’ll need to stop at the gas station.”  My cousin is already making his way through customs. “Can we do it on the way back?” With that we have an agreement.  I tell my cousin that we’ll meet him at arrivals.  It’s not until later that I realize we’re parked at departures.  Why did I type the wrong word?  Is my English slipping?  “Sorry.  I mis-wrote that.  I’m up at departures."  I’ve arrived.  You’ve arrived.  But it has nothing to do with where I am waiting. 



Saturday 5/19/18


No comments:

Post a Comment