Sunday, September 2, 2018

Order Three Dishes





I had salad for lunch.  You can walk over, pick from two dozen things, they’ll load it all up, mix it about and hand you over a bowl of salad.  I put in extra this and extra that so it ends up costing nearly on hundred yuan with the beverage, but it’s alright.  One of the young fellas desperately wants to speak English.  Aspirational English, there is nothing wrong with that.  But I don’t need to entertain it.  I’ll answer in my aspirational Chinese.  

These guys do a good salad.  It’s all a bit wonky when you dive in to it.  I’d rather I had a shot at mixing this tuna up so it doesn’t flake about so dry and pasty.  But it serves the purpose to make a lunch- run without a ton of extra carbs. 





Back at my apartment I am trying to avoid a typical, family-style Chinese dinner.  I “only” order three dishes.  I get loaded up on food I don’t need, wash it down with a beer and come home tired.  That leaves, salad. 

The ironically named “Holy High” next door is ready for me.  They don’t do quesadilla’s like they used to.  No, there are no more soups.  But they have salads.  Salads are available and they are more thoughtful in their preparation than the other place. They are pre-prepared salads.  They even poach an egg so that its soft and put it in its own special compartment within your salad box. 



Back up in my room I'm content to eat my second salad.  I can’t say that I’m excited.  But I’ll dig in and maybe I’ll take a shower afterwards to that I have a fighting chance of getting these quizzes graded before sleep takes me. 



Tuesday 5/22/18


No comments:

Post a Comment