Tuesday, September 4, 2018

To the Outdoor Patio





Guest in town.  I should really go to bed early.  And get up and prepare my lessons.  But he’s a good guy.  He’s a client.  And he’s a budding friend, as well.  And I’ve missed him while my colleagues took him around in China.  And tonight is his first night in Shanghai. 

M on the Bund is pretty consistently wonderful.  The food is always refined and the view is just what’s needed to forcefully juxtapose the business center of the 1930s with the business center of the now.  I was able to reserve a table, out on the porch and soon, he arrived and we made our way from the bar to the outdoor patio. 



I find myself repeating lessons I’d taught the week before last in my Chinese history class.  I find myself wondering if I’ve asserted this point to this person in the past.  Fortunately, he is smart, and very interested in this remarkable civilization.  This will all do nicely.   He’s beginning to piece it all together.  I remember this process, when China wasn’t old and familiar.  



And one bottle turns to two.   And this view is swapped for the one across the street.  We head back to the apartment where I’ve offered to let him stay, earlier than we might have but much later than I should have.  I get his pull-out bed ready and take care to make sure he has towels and soap and water.  I will need to be leaving here very early tomorrow morning.  Oh dear.



Friday 6/08/18



No comments:

Post a Comment