Friday, October 5, 2018

I Know Who That Is







Fixing lunch, chatting with my wife, I heard a smooth tenor sound coming from her laptop.  I reckoned it might be Lester Young and when I went over to have a look my hunch was confirmed.  It was a mix of his that was ten minutes in to a ninety-minute video.  Why don’t I listen to more Lester Young? 

I thought of the televised session when he plays with Billie Holiday and she sullenly sings “Fine and Mellow” about the meanest man she’s ever seen, right up at him, for all to see, testifying to their earlier romance.  My wife’s a big Billie fan, and I suggested I go and find it for her to see and soon we were both watching the all-star cast run through the number, with Billie driving things, the starlet, high as sin, in poignant control of everything.  



Considering the cast, I knew who Coleman Hawkins was but I’llconfess, I was confused when Ben Webster took a solo.  He sort of looks like Hawk, but he’s playing a tenor.  I had to look.  And who is the white dude with the big baritone sax?  Ahh, that is Gerry Mulligan.  I should know that. I’d know who Pepper Adams was but I guess I don’t know any other baritone players by name.  I should give Mr. Mulligan more airplay too.  And that . . . I know who that is, that’s Little Jazz on trumpet, you know, you know, . . . his name is . . .

This one is perplexing.  There must be some cavity up in my noggin somewhere.  I can never, and I mean never, remember Roy Eldridge’ name.  Why is that?  I can see him on the cover of the CD I had.  I can hear him play any number of songs in my mind.  I know where he fits in the lineage of trumpet players and his nick name comes readily whenever I think of him.  But somehow, that nickname always trips me up.  I clutch for the wrong first letter and never come upon an R or an E.   



Later when I was riding my bike to the grocery I was determined to anchor this name.  Roy Eldridge, Roy Eldridge.  It’s there now if I need it.  But I am nearly certain that I’ll search in vain, the next time I find myself looking.  Strange, as it is so consistent.



Monday 9/24/18



No comments:

Post a Comment