Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Mass Of One





Driving down the airport expressway into the city on a remarkably clear autumn day.  风过[1]  The wind is blowing leaves around playfully in perfect accompaniment to the Randy Weston Trio’s live version of “Just a Riff.”  Everything feels light.  The sun is confident in a way it might be ashamed of a few weeks later when the arc of fall recedes at last into winter.  Could this really be the same city that is so pilloried with stories of pollution?  On a day like this you might even wonder if all those stories were true.



It is important to maintain a healthy skepticism on all the news you read or see.  We all lived through Colin Powell’s ‘weapons of mass destruction’ speech.  Students of American history can remember the bombing of Cambodia, “remember the Maine” and cite countless examples of the government or the press willfully lying to the American people.  And the press in the United States, for example, is largely free and it largely self corrects, and there is room, if not funding, for others to expose bias, or outright mendacity. 

And I suppose it is this process that I have some faith in.  Like most people I need to consume the news.  I need to have a few trusted sources for efficiency sake through which I discern what is happening in the world.   I am an atheist, someone who does not subscribe faith to any particular religious explanation for being.  But I concede that I operate with a strong sense of faith however, in things that I do not know, for sure. Our medieval ancestors without the benefits of science had faith in many things that would seem simplistic today.  They needed faith in something to organize and explain their world and get them through the day.  I, and I suspect most of you; have a religious-like faith in certain things as well, if only to organize a path through this world of uncertainty.   

In the United States, I have an unspoken faith in the rule of law.  This may or may not be poorly placed.  But that it operates as such, is interesting.  If I’m sitting at a traffic light and someone cuts across two lanes and slams into my car, I have a certain faith that justice will prevail and the offending party will be deemed guilty.  I have faith that we’ll file a report and the other person’s insurance company will settle and all will be righted in the end.  This reasonable assessment may well find itself buffeted by the actual experience.  We can find countless tales where justice did not prevail.  But again, initially at least, I have faith in my assessment of how this encounter will play out.  Struck by the other car, my instinct upon impact is not to call my powerful friend, who knows someone at the Department of Motor Vehicles to make sure things go my way.  I would only turn to the “rule of man” as a last resort in the United States.  In China, of course, traffic disputes, for example, are often a much more complicated interplay between the rule of law and the rule of man. 

I also have faith, that I am reasonably educated as to “what is going on in the world.”  Why?  Because I read the paper.  Which paper?  I read the New York Times every day and assume that I have done a reasonable check in with matters.  I read an article in said paper every day with my older daughter because I want her to “know what is going on in the world.”  I do make time to go deeper into the news that most concerns me.  During the presidential election cycle I scour the web for more and more information sources.  And in general, I cast the net wide for China news. 

Yesterday the New York Times ran a story about a drone strike, which killed the Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud.  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/02/world/asia/drone-strike-hits-compound-used-by-pakistani-taliban-leader.html
The Times’ suggested that Mehsud had a $5M bounty on his head for his role in attacks on CIA agents in Afghanistan and the attempted Times Square bombing in New York.  Like many Americans I suppose, I have confused feelings about drone attacks in general and certainly in countries where we are not at war; about the bystanders who were also killed, about the tit-for-tat repercussions that may never be bombed into cessation.  And, of course, I acknowledge that terrorist attacks in the United States are a very real threat.  And as I move on to the next story on the front page, I have a subtle, underlying faith that what I read was a factual and reasonably exhaustive accounting. 

Reading news about China, where one has more content knowledge, and more reason and wherewithal to question, can be jarring.  I have far less faith about the accuracy of what I’m reading and more wherewithal to be critical of the assumptions.  Take for example this reasonably balanced AP article in USA Today about a Los Angeles businessman Vincent Wu, who was recently arrested in Guangdong:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/18/businessman-mob-boss-china/3006981/

The Chinese authorities have cast him as a ruthless mob boss with nickname’s like “Ferocious Mouth”.  He is charged with paying an associate to throw acid in the face of a judge who ruled against him.  Conversely his family and business associates maintain that he is an upstanding individual and a successful businessman whose wealth attracted attention.  He exposed corruption and paid for it, by having is property seized and by being subjected to torture.  What really happened?  I have no idea.  It is easy enough to imagine that the Mr. Wu was rapacious gent who was finally caught and it is just as easy to imagine that his business success earned him enemies who wrongfully brought him down.  No one is clean, you could say and so it’s probably a mixture of both.  This filter of relativism applied to every business transaction, every personal assessment.  This default to ambiguity at every turn is jarring, enervating.  It makes it harder to just get on with your day. 

Here is another series of articles from a New York Times blog about the arrest of a journalist, again in Guangdong.  The initial story shows the bold full page message from the local paper “New Express” calling for the release of one of their journalists, who, they claimed, was wrongly arrested for exposing corruption:

Then this same reporter publically confessed to having taken bribes to write unflattering stories about a particular business by a rival.  Seemingly crestfallen, the paper then asked publically for an apology, insisting they’d been wrong to assert that the reporter was innocent in the first place.  They were guilty, they claimed, of lax self-censorship.
What are we to make of this?  Was the reporter simply on the take?  Was he tortured to confess a crime that he actually did not commit?   Did the police, in fact, bravely rout out a perfidious form of corruption, just like they are supposed to?  I have little to no faith that I will ever know what it is that really happened. 

Faith is reinforced or jarred in the United States by a million events just as it is here.  I choose to believe and have selective empirical evidence that regularly reinforces subconscious faith that  “the truth will come out in the end” or that “justice will prevail” in the United States.  Maybe that is part of being a citizen.  And though these bromides are sorely tried at times, they are part of what allow you to function as something other than a full time skeptic and thereby get on with your day.   

In China, I apply faith differently.  I am more fundamentally suspicious of these sort of platitudes as I look into the dusty intersection between the rule of law and the rule of man in this country.  I still operate with a faith that within this broad momentum, it is a continuum and that things are on the balance “getting better.”  Experience teaches me that guanxi can nearly always ban shi and at the same time it seems clear to me that the cumbersome, intimate rule of man is on the wane.  And I believe, in the high probability of some difficult speed bumps for China up ahead.   And what informs and anchors all these assumptions in another land, exists inchoate, through a veil of otherness.



To remain in Beijing, one must be a member of the faithful.  Apostates should probably pack it in.  And certainly it’s best to shake out these assumptions of belief and have a look at them, and the inchoate void where they’re anchored, regularly. What are we counting on to get us through our days? How is it distinct from the way faith is applied, back in wherever it is we come from to whatever it is we believe in there.  This process ought to be ritualized, perhaps a weekly mass of one, as things are changing too fast to have much of any faith in consistency. 






[1] qiūfēngguò'ěr:   lit. as the autumn breeze passes the ear (idiom); not in the least concerned

No comments:

Post a Comment