Sunday, December 1, 2013

Earth to Bugs Bunny




I’m still filling myself up with news of this rail crash back in the Bronx.  Metro north train flips the tracks and the engine in the back pushing the cars, shoves them all right up off into the dirt, one by one.  That is one ride I know in my sleep.  A guy described waking up to it.  That would have been me.  Dozed off to the click-clack of the wheels on the tracks.  Then wake to something you can’t stop. 

Some things seem so routine that the element of any danger has been completely removed.  Like commuter trains, where you forget you’re riding along steel rails at 60 mph.  You always know there is danger in a car, whether or not you’re attuned to it.  A plane may be statistically safer but you’re always pondering the imponderable crash, regardless.  But a Metro North commuter train?  I can’t think of when I’d have ever spared a thought for safety aboard those trains.  And I’m sure everyone on board had felt the same way, when they got on that morning.  Blessings then, to all those who were killed or hurt in this terrible accident.

Not sure why I’ve such a lingering headache today.  It is a dull drag on everything.  Sleepy too, when I really shouldn’t be.  I’ve bit of Philly Joe Jones on.  That Bill Hardman from a few days earlier lead me to this album “Showcase” from 1959 . . . (dozing off just now, like someone on the train.  More morning coffee is required.)  Apparently both Miles and Bill Evans regarded the man from Philadelphia as their favorite drummer.  While Mr. Jones said he owed what he had to Tadd Dameron, the “romantacist of the bop movement” who I’ve taken a note on to dig deeper into some other time. 

I wrote about the goddess Chang’e the other day, who made her way up to the moon.  I couldn’t see the moon this morning for the early morning ride over for the school drop-off.  But that didn’t stop China from launching the Chang’e Three mission today to put the Jade Rabbit on the moon.  If Mel Blanc and Warner Brothers were still making Bugs Bunny cartoons this would be rich material.  I seem to recall one Bugs episode where he is hanging on the corner of a crescent moon.  When they achieve radio contact calling: “Earth to Bugs Bunny, Earth to Bugs Bunny, “ he grabs the mic and yells “Get me out of here!”  


Importantly, it was the "earth" calling Bugs, on our moon, not, what in those pre-NASA days would have been: "The United States War Department," on the line. 

I’ve read quite a bit lately the unpleasant, unscientific ramifications of Congress' 2011 law that bans NASA from developing bilateral relations with China.  There have been scientific gatherings where Chinese were not allowed to attend.  Scientists sheepishly forced to rescind invitations to purely scientific exchanges.  Shades of Dr. Tsien Hsue-Shen who was unjustly hounded out of the U.S. during the red-scare only to go and launch China’s ballistics program from Beijing.  I saw one quote in the NY Times article that caught my eye: 

“But China’s program has reached a point where deeper cooperation with the United States or Russia would make little difference, said Gregory Kulacki, China project manager at the Union of Concerned Scientists. He nonetheless supports closer contacts to foster cooperation and reduce mistrust. “They don’t really need to rely on any outside sources to continue to make the progress that they’re making,” Mr. Kulacki said.”

Innovation is still driven by the West, for a while.  But it isn’t necessary.  That’s fascinating to ponder.  On the one hand, good for humanity that so many smart capable minds are liberated to think about and work on matters such as space exploration.  But at the same time, what a pity that nation states being what they are, we seem doomed to continue this effort in a competitive rather than collaborative manner.   And innovation will now begin to spawn things widely in a way that the West will no longer control, if it ever once did.  One more milestone for China as it 推陈出新[1]




America’s space exploration was and is good for humanity while at the same time good for American military power projection.  It is difficult for Americans to untangle the two.  While it is a rather easy matter for the Chinese.  If you don’t want to live under American hegemony, you’ll have to figure out how to do these things for yourself, step by step.  And the days of needing to “steal” technology, at least in this arena, espionage, by another name, appears of waning relevance. 

I’m eager to learn what my kids learn about the mission today at school.  I can recall, at least I think I can, looking for the “man on the moon” as a child, during the U.S. space mission and believing that, if I squinted, I could see him up there.  It reinforced a marrow level sense of pride.  And I would imagine that for kids of most other nations, it was a more complicated affair mixed with awe at human achievement and a bit of envy from a national perspective.  Envy is a powerful motivator with unintended consequences.  The Medieval tonic for envy was “kindness” though as I’ve suggested earlier, I don’t think it's a sufficiently powerful, or perhaps appropriate, antidote. 

Still, the world should meditate on a bit of kindness, rather than envy or scorn for this mission.  May the Jade Rabbit reach the Bay of Rainbows and share with the world many new insights into our shared lunar body.  May NASA (or more appropriately Congress) reconsider its aversion to dialogue, as a result.  We should be trading, not hording baseball cards, about the moon.  The innovation of mankind is, alas, uncork-able.  And the balkanization of innovation portends something very dangerous to my ears. 




[1] tuīchénchūxīn:  to push out the old and bring in the new (idiom); to innovate / to go beyond old ideas / advancing all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment