Friday, December 18, 2015

A Dentist is Standing By




Learning way too much about dental hygiene from people speaking Cantonese these days.  My Chrome browser thinks I’m in Hong Kong.  Unless I deliberately click that I want Google.com itself, I’m directed to the SAR.  And who cares, until the searches are all slanted towards Causeway Bay.  Or the commercials you’re served are all in Cantonese.   

Rdio’s dead.  I haven’t fully absorbed this yet.  I dove into the service and synched hundreds of albums and foolishly built a mental reference architecture around their library.  “Dear User, business being what it is, we’ve failed to figure out how to make money and will now be gutted.  The thing you’ve created with an illusorily deflated pricing will soon disappear.  Meanwhile, the commercials you’d previously avoided having to hear will be all up in your ears every few songs until our final breath.”



What’s the solution?  The competitive services all seem to be unavailable where I live. Spotify sends me to the Swedish site.  There's always a way around, somehow.  But its too much work.  I asked my kids and they use QQ.  But I’ve long felt that fat little penguin is way too intrusive, wanting access to everything.  And there is Youtube’s, which is pretty damn remarkable.  Every single thing I can think of appears to be here.   There are mixes that loop serving up songs on a theme forever.  I hadn’t thought I wanted to watch bee bop, but OK, there’s Mingus with Eric Dolphy.  I concede a new ripple in my mind, but I haven’t all that much spare time in the day to watch bee bop.  I wanted a groove.  So.  Well.  OK then.  Don’t look at that tab.



Colgate wants my consciousness, badly.  I’ve yet to discern how to skirt the ads on Youtube.  Again, with a bit of effort one can certainly research a way around this.  But it’s a rather sheer face of effort, that doesn’t really appeal to my mind’s routine.  Rather I put on an album, or a mix and enjoy.  But there’s trepidation with every pause.  Another song.  Exhale.  This is like being nine and begging the television aloud that one more Looney Toon’s cartoon would follow and not a commercial.  And when commercials hit, which they always do, it comes in loud and Canto.  I have seen the ad where a young woman bites and apple only to leave blood marks on the apple’s tender meat now many, many dozens of times.  No worries, a dentist is standing by and he has advice about brushing with Colgate.  Cantonese always sounds cool and always sounds uproariously funny. I will always wish I spoke it.  And because I don’t, Cantonese commercials remain largely nonsensical which is the preferred way to take in all commercials.


No comments:

Post a Comment