Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"Yeah. It's Clogged."




Have vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson’s most recent release “Enjoy the View” on.  A compliment certainly, I couldn’t immediately tell what era it was from.  A rich Hammond organ sound starts it off.  I went to Wiki to have a look at what the release date was, still in the dark.  There beneath his smiling picture it points out that he was born in 1941.  I only glanced briefly as I was actually looking for the discography.  But the number 74 stayed in my head.  Was Mr. Hutcherson alive or dead?  He certainly lived well past 1974.  Was seventy-four the age he reached upon which he expired?  I found the album in question and noted it was released in 2014.  Looking back it’s clear that he is still among the living at aged seventy-four.  Of all instruments, vibraphone has a unique ability to posit notes in the air that resonate as if they each have an afterlife. 

Good to have an uninterrupted day of work.  Better still to have the lane cleared for another one tomorrow.  I’m enjoying exciting moment wherein the carrot actually seems close enough to sink one’s teeth into.  The modest carrot of being “caught up.”  Up late taking banana bread out of the oven.  I don’t usually do banana bread.  My younger one is having a “week without sugar” at school.  All the kids pledge to eat only things without processed sugar added for a week.  I didn’t check the recipe but this would seem to be cutting it all rather close.

Was sleepy before.  I kept drifting into vivid early sleep where middle school and last week naturally collide casting one within familiar tensions, miraculously served up with new pairings of setting and cast.  I think this chair is set too low.  I oughtn’t to sit in it too long.  It’s easy to sit back and drift.  I’ve a pillow beneath my rear now and I am awake.  Must have been doing all those dishes, what did it. 



There were dishes to be done.  The kitchen sink suddenly backed up last night.  I noticed when I stepped back and nearly fell on my ass.  A major puddle had formed beneath me.  The drain wasn’t draining.  Called the front office.  A guy came.  He said, “yeah, its’ clogged.  They’ll send a guy tomorrow with the unclogger machine.  It will cost you 100 yuan.”  The front desk called and wanted me to pay first as the workers are not allowed to handle cash. 




So this morning I did.  And they came with a steel coil roll on a portable cart.  I offered them some tea, as I always do, even though I knew they’d say “no thanks” which they did.  I wanted them to feel welcome, respected.  They followed the drain to places I never would have, and then, they yelled out “it’s good.” and began to roll up their coil.  I showed them to the door and thanked them for their good work.  Cleared then, I was, for dishes.  Lots of dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment