Friday, February 5, 2016

And Yell “dunr”




I am not one for cards, but we, the family, have been playing cards.  I guess it isn’t a bad thing if it gets the whole family sitting down together, rather than  staring off into everyone’s personal screen

My wife had introduced a Chinese game, perhaps an international game, referred to as “dunr.”   “Dunr” is what one yells out when one wins and it is a lovely word to yell.  The logic is to hold five cards, and keep holding until you can assemble two pairs (dunr’s) and then wait for someone to discard the card that matches your single fifth card.  If someone discards the card you need, or you draw it you can throw down three pairs of whatever you’ve got and yell “dunr.” 



Oddly, I nearly always win this game.  I have no similar claim to make with any other game introduced.  It is weighted heavily towards luck, so there isn’t much to pride oneself on, other than the odd regularity of my good fortune.  When I win, I spin around in the bar chair I’m sitting, yelling syncopated “dunr da dunr dunr” at the top of my lungs.




There are other games, but they never cause me to spin and shout.  In another game of winner takes all, you assemble cards by slapping your hand down on the table if you two of the same cards put down in a row or a sandwiched sequence.  She said her friends called it “Egyptian Rascal.”  There is a story there, no doubt.  This game is one that goes one till someone has the whole deck and I rarely make much progress.  There’s another called xianshangdao that seems to mean puncturing the upper class, which I am also a steady second or third placer, at.  Dunr’s my game.  And with someone yelling and preening in victory each time, it is nearly as fun to loose as it is to win, all hanging out spinning on bar stools, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment