Saturday, May 14, 2016

Futile and Unpleasant




Up so early.  Earlier than the required time for the pre-call I need to do before the early call later this morning.  Sun’s rising there over the city.  The park down below is coming to life.  Cloudy but no one needs an umbrella.  I’ve had a dozen different rooms on this side of the residence.  Each time the view is slightly different.   This time I’m all the way down on the far east side of the building.  I imagine putting all the photos I’ve taken of this park all the dozen times together to compare.  And certainly it wouldn’t be worth any such effort.



Killing time on my way out to the Hongqiao airport.  I’m not late today.  I’m reasonably on time.  The driver sneezed.  I said “bless you.”  I could have said “one hundred years” in Chinese which is a polite thing to say if one feels the need to say something, but it always feels a bit forced.  As it is my blessing will be simply incomprehensible.

Work till the last minute and hop in a shower and call downstairs for a cab.  The mid-day traffic is plodding but, almost in a manner that suggests learning, I have left enough time and it doesn’t matter how slow we crawl.  I’ve got time. 

Great old song popped in the ears to cheer me up.  “The Madman Running” by Dantilion’s Chariot.  “And then one day, “pow.”   I’m not on line, so I’m not able to look up the band.  Who were they?  The singers British and I assume the whole squad was.  Some of them likely went on to have lovely rock careers in the next decade.  (Indeed, they did.  The singer Zoot Money split to join the Animals and the guitarist, Andy Summers joined Soft Machine and would later join the Police.)




It’s drizzling now.  It has been a cold spring, for a while now.  I didn’t mind this.  I do mind that I have two contact lenses up in my right eye just now.  One is a troublemaker and he appears to have gone and hid up under my eyelid somewhere.  Too much eye rubbing in the shower, I’m afraid.  Searching for this stowaway is futile and unpleasant.  And as it wasn’t covering my iris, I was unable to see much from that eye.  So I threw a new lens in.  Often times this forces a recalcitrant one to slip out.  But not today.  I’ve taken the second one out twice now and the initial one is still stuck up in there.  Fiddling with these in a cab is ill advised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment