Sunday, February 26, 2017

Big Pictures of the Food




Alright, less than twenty-four hours, more like sixteen and I’m pretty clearly addicted.   Last we had dinner with friends.  We waited in the lower level of the northern Tai Koo Li plaza, outside of the restaurant, and after a not insignificant amount of time standing about, we were seated. I hadn’t thought to do this before, but once they suggested it was quite sensible:  “Order appetizers first.  Then, later we’ll order entrees.  Otherwise they’ll bring them all at once.”  How many times have I implored that all the dishes not be piled on to the table in one mad dash?  Take back control of the pacing. 

The food at “Let’s Seafood” was, as my friend suggested, “good, but with big pictures of the food.”  An attempt, it seemed to make ‘surf n’ turf’ accessible to Chinese, I was pleasantly surprised by the tastes which were an upgrade on the photos. Most of the dishes, while rich, were well prepared.   Our friends are peers but without children.  Accordingly they are infinitely more in tune with places to eat and venues for music.  “Do you remember the old ‘City Hotel’?  It’s now called “Chao.”



Chao had on some jazz.  It was a warm night for February.  I knew my wife wouldn’t want to walk far, but if the friends suggested it, she’d probably acquiesce.  Chao, like Let’s Seafood are both apparently the work of individuals from Hong Kong.  I thought about this, soaking in atmosphere, considering what was Hong Kong, and what was Beijing.   Is this what happened in New York in the 1880s when the people with “real” style from Europe, flooded the city with all its money, opening one top place after another?

We talked our way into good seats before a convincing band of swing style jazzmen.  Nothing like that full bodied stand-up bass to vibrate your chest cavity.  The rhythm guitar player sang English with a foreign accent, which I tried to pick out and the lead guitarist was quick and convincing moving from Wes Montgomery to Django Reinhardt with enviable ease.  They all looked dapper but I must say I wouldn’t want to have suit up like that to perform.  Alas, the band’s name is not listed anywhere I can find on line.   Y’all played well.  Thanks.



Ah, and it was sitting there, digging the tunes that my friend introduced me to Word Feud.  “Do you like Scrabble?” he asked, innocently enough.  “Sure.  I suppose.”  I downloaded the app and linked with him and got into a game.  Soon I was plotting tiles down and quickly noticed he was kicking my ass.  I added a word on the ride home.  He got a better on in shortly thereafter.  When I woke up this morning I noted he’d scored big with “bunty.”  Bunty?  I shared it with my younger one on the way over to the gym this morning.  She has now downloaded it as well and I am playing two games at once.  When I finish a paragraph, writing, I check my phone.  Has either of them made a move?  I’m considering inviting other people to play.  I really do have many other things to do.  It’s literary at least.  Sort of.  I suppose I could be shooting zombies. 


Sunday 02/26/17


No comments:

Post a Comment