Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Softened and Accelerated






En route but stationary.  An Austrian Airlines jet is moving itself slowly into position on the run way down before me.  There are a dozen such planes out there.  I am on an Austrian plain, of flat ground here away from the peaks, not far from Vienna about to board a plane to take me back to Beijing.  The Austrian Airlines lady at the counter with flaming red hair to match her flaming red dress and tights and shoes has just confirmed.  The next announcement will come in 45 minutes.  (53 mins and counting she ain’t said a thing)  “There appears to be mechanical trouble.  Sorry.”  Oh.  That could be 45-minute problem or a 4 to 5 hour problem.  At least I’m here and I don’t have much of any connection to worry about.  

This lounge here, is quite pleasant   We have the view of the airport which I have suggested is broad an sweeping, full of red plane logos.  The vibe inside is quite.  Perhaps not unlike Japan.  I tried to wish my daughter good night about four hours ago and got a hairy Austrian eye-ball from a guy who looked severe.  I went out into the hallway where the Austrian Air ladies sat to welcome folks to the lounge.  They too clarified that this was not the right place to talk, audibly.  (How else does one talk?)  “There, sir, is our private room.”  Well, OK.  There was only myself and there was no one inside.  This actually worked. well.  




Later when I was inside being scrupulously quite the dude two chairs down picked up his phone and started yapping in German.  “Vell zen,” this was my chance to unveil my hirsute cornea.  “Yo man, why you be talkin?”  He didn’t seem especially impressed with my Flavor Flav sneer.  When he picked up his call a second time I picked up mine in unison and made up a conversation in perfect cadence with his, affirming, rejecting and generally mocking him to an imaginary friend.  He didn’t notice.  

It’s not exactly Italy, but the Austrians put on a nice little spread here in the lounge.  It is certainly better than what’s available at the Hong Qiao Airport.  Most assuredly better than any airport in the U.S.A.  There’s an unlimited supply of my favorite Austrian bev, Gruner Ventliner, which helps to make the delay and the down time and the people talking audibly even though you aren’t talking audibly, somewhat softened and accelerated.



On the flight up from Venice, we had a lady with a southern Chinese accent in front of us.  Aww man, but she was loud.  Yapping and yapping and it was worse as I could understand most of what she was saying.  She gave her kid her phone and let him play computer games, audibly for all to hear.  We were on our way in.  We’d be landing soon.  And this noise from his facile game was driving me bird shit. “I’ll let it ride.” I told myself as the plane’s deceleration accelerated.  I practiced my lines in my head.  I’d ask her to turn the volume down.  She’d say “Hey, you speak Chinese.  Hey cousin Fred, will you look at that? This foreigner speaks Chinese.  Ask him something.” and want to start a “Alvie-Singer-in-line-like conversation and I’d be pulled into a chat unwittingly.  I said nothing.  And stewed and tried to read and get over it.  To the virgin Chinese traveler considering my bitchy tale: please be mindful of volumes when you travel abroad.  It’s your right to behave, as you will, back home.  But noise pollution can be noxious overseas. 



Monday, 03/20/17



No comments:

Post a Comment