Monday, August 27, 2018

Up Into the Slope





Riding along the Hong Jiang River today and it looks a bit like the Hudson before it passes through Storm King  The width is about the same and the rounded hills look familiar, as well.  We’re heading to the Hong Jiang old city which is presumably right up along the river bank.  I believe there are old buildings that rise up and up into the slope above the river.  In the morning time, everything is beautiful.  And we are all still hungry. 



Later now, we'd had a good walk through the town and then a quick dash up to catch our gaotie.  We’re sitting now at the McCafe above the Huaihua train station.  Yes.  I will unabashedly confess that I am glad it’s here.  I’m glad to find coffee.  An espresso maker: that is even better.  A few minutes ago I wasn’t nearly so calm.

This was going to be a smooth transaction.  My line to the ticket lady moved the fastest and I submitted three passports and my receipt and watched as she checked, concerned momentarily that perhaps somehow something was wrong but then she pressed the button and out popped three tickets.  We had plenty of time and we made our way over to the entrance and up to the metal detectors, and then was informed by the ticket checker gent that we had tickets for tomorrow’s train.  I check the ticket receipt I’d presented him with.  Indeed.  I’d bought three tickets for tomorrow.  That won’t do. 



Now I rushed back to the same lady, cut the line expressing myself as sorry and excuse me for bothering you but.  There were no seats on the train we’d thought we were traveling on.  But she got us one that was leaving one hour later but arrived three hours later than we’d originally bargained for.  Must be a local train.  I confirmed and once again she pressed the button and out came three tickets but not before she had taken a little red chop and stamp it officially cancelled.

Back in Beijing now, after our nine-hour train ride.  I think I liked the seven-hour version better.  I learned that cabs don’t really queue at the Beijing West station.  Pregnant periods without any cabs at all.  And then a flood of cabs. Someone has placed a megaphone with auto reply in the bushes.  It yells over and over and over that we should not accept unsolicited cabs.  I’m tempted to toss it far away.  This line is not moving.



Monday 05/14/18


No comments:

Post a Comment