Sunday, December 2, 2018

Only Birds From Chile






Reading the New York Times this morning I found myself in Chile. I am defrosting a sixteen-pound turkey which the local market biked over yesterday.  Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I don’t usually think much about buying-American.  But two years ago, I’d also secured a bird that turned out to be from the southern cone.  I was surprised, at the last minute to find their innards weren’t there inside.  You need the neck, the heart, the liver to make your gravy.  I think I even remember telling the owner of the store: “Chilean turkeys are no good.”

And the next year, last year, we had a U.S. bird.  It had guts.  I was happy with that.  There’s a nice bald gent at the market who knew I’d be needing one and he set me up with a preorder a few weeks back.  “I’ll take the biggest one you got.”   But when I insisted that the bird be a Yankee doodle dandy he threw up his hands.  “Only birds from Chile this year.”  “Really?”  And before I could ask “what’s up with that?” we both smiled and nodded our heads, and said “trade war” as if on cue.



The New York Times, however was not talking about trade war, nor about turkeys in this article.  Rather it was an expose on a strikingly handsome Chilean folk singer: Victor Jara.  I began to read the article and wondered how it was I’d never heard of this gentleman.  Every country it seems, or certainly dozens have some figure who was the Bob Dylan of (insert your country of choice) Russia’s Dylan.  The Dylan of the Philippines.  If the Czech Republic had a Dylan figure it was . . .   Quickly though it was clear that this was more than simply another such article. 

Victor Jara was one of many young people rounded up after Pinochet, with help from the Nixon administration toppled the elected government of Salvador Allende.  Jara was imprisoned in the stadium and segregated out, interrogated and shot, twice in the head, forty-four times elsewhere.  His wife, a British born Joan Jara received word from someone who had seen him in the morgue. 

The video provided, describes how eight members of the Chilean military have only now been brought to justice for the crime while the commander of unit there at the stadium, who denies any involvement in the murder, lives today in Florida.  Ms. Jara in particular, provides a loving, sober, somber account of her husband’s music, his life, and what it was it was sacrificed for.  I sent the link off to a best friend immediately asking: “how is it we never heard of him?”



I spent the day then, listening to Mr. Jara’s music.  I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy beyond the first toes’ wetting but he’s wonderful, sparse, surprising, anchored with a martyr’s gravity.  Biking in the early morning, shopping for Thanksgiving groceries in the afternoon chopping parsley and cilantro in the evening, I couldn’t get enough.  Deciphering glimpses of lucidity from the Spanish I could decipher, thought I understood the meaning of a song titled: “El Derecho a Vivir En Paz.”  “Derecho” the right.  Certainly, this was an ironic song about the right wing who , wont be in peace until they have destroyed society or killed all of the opposition!

Rather, the “right” in Spanish, like in English has both the directional significance as well as the idea of entitlement.  I have the “right” to free speech and freedom of assembly and, in this song at least, the right to live in peace.  It is a song about Ho Chi Minh and the struggle from that time in Vietnam. 

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/el-derecho-de-vivir-en-paz-right-live-peace.html

The Right To Live In Peace
The right to live
poet Ho Chi Minh,
who struck from Vietnam
all of humanity.
No cannon will wipe out
the furrow of your rice paddy.
The right to live in peace.

Indochina is the place
beyond the wide sea,
where they ruin the flower
with genocide and napalm.
The moon is an explosion
that blows out all the clamor.
The right to live in peace.

Uncle Ho, our song
is fire of pure love,
it's a dovecote dove,
olive from an olive grove.
It is the universal song
chain that will triumph,
the right to live in peace.



Wednesday, 11/20/18



No comments:

Post a Comment