Saturday, February 16, 2019

Spring Outside or Inside





The Amazon deal back home in New York fell through.  When it was first announced it seemed logical.  Everyone suggested it was all rather anticlimactic.  Of course, they’d choose New York City, with its concentration of knowledge workers.  All the speculation about tier-two midwestern cities had only been a distraction.  Even though I haven’t lived in New York City, physically since 1997, I was still imagining this new Amazon complex as effecting things in my city, considering what it might be good for and what it might help to ruin, back there in my “home.”



It ain’t gonna happen.  Once again it seems obvious to all the pundits that it was never meant to be now that it has fallen through.  Amazon asked for too much, the Democrats newly in charge of the State Assembly are no longer following along with what the governor and the mayor had negotiated.  Affirmation and refutation to the lingering sense of New York centrality.  The city’s too big to be cajoled by any one company: good.  The city’s too arrogant and ill governed to allow it to convincingly wax as a technology hub, bad perhaps, in the long run.  It's best certainly, that New York, already gutted by property developers, doesn’t become that much more beholden to someone who necessarily flouts the city’s centrality.  Burden’s on the City then, to continue to prove its criticality and find that $65B in revenue that might have helped on civic infrastructure.

It’s already two in the afternoon.  I haven’t made it to the gym all day.  Usually I’m home from that part of my day by 7:30 in the morning.  I took a walk outside to bring the bottles to the curb and its warmer.  Surely there isn’t any snow on the ground.  But even though the song on the airwaves in this room was “Up Jumped Spring,” it hasn’t.  It’s doesn’t feel at all like Spring outside or inside just now.  Leave it all dormant for the foreseeable. 



I’ve held off eating all morning till about this time as I generally do.  In the back of my mind I’m preparing myself for something longer.  I’ve been “preparing” myself for quite some time actually, and I’m not sure if I’ll ever be ready.  My friend has fasted or three and for four days.  I can do twenty-four hours but I suspect there will be a very ugly period of dissatisfaction during the second day, were I to extend things beyond this first day.  And so, I never do.  My friend maintains that day two, at least the first time he tried it, did indeed, suck.  However, day three, was he suggested, in a state of ketosis, was fabulous and clear.  It won’t be something I start today.  That I know.  I’m going to go open a can of tuna fish.



Saturday 02/16/19



No comments:

Post a Comment