Sunday, August 11, 2019

Pantheon's Senior Most Representative





Blow Marshall, blow John.  I have been on a Sun Ra kick.  This is absolutely related to our recent trip to Egypt.  Sun Ra leverages so many different Egyptian reference points over the course of his career, beginning of course with the name of the pantheon’s senior most representative, Ra, the sun god.  Appropriately enough I have “Heliocentric World’s Volume 1, 2, & 3” on this evening.  Much of Sun Ra’s oeuvre I’m familiar with but wonderfully, as I make my way through the discography on Wiki, I am discovering one, three, five or more different albums I’d never heard of before, there on line. 



It’s pouring rain outside and its’ about time.  The uncharacteristic muggy weather we’ve been having should have been cut by a ferocious Beijing summer, thunder shower some days ago.  I went out to move my bike into the garage and walked carefully.  Up above there was the close-at-hand rumble of a powerful thunder clap.  “Where might the lighting strike next?” I thought.   You’ll feel it second before you hear it.  Light travels faster than sound.  The next bolt might just find me here and knock me on my ass, or worse.  The block I’m on is too crowded and there are no long views out into the sky and accordingly I’m feeling good about escaping this bike run without a shock.

Earlier in the day I’d had errands to run.  The Mrs. wanted Dr.’s ink on a vaccination form.  The older one needed something similar.  So, I headed to our local clinic.  The ladies were all rather helpful, though the doctor I needed’s review was off till Tuesday.  I wasn’t sure if they were going to make me pay for this signing service, but it appears that they do not.



While I was trying to sort this out a middle aged woman with a boy at her side interrupted things with my nurses.  My knee-jerk reaction was to put her in her place, insisting that I was mid conversation.  She could very well wait and consider a thing or two about cutting in line.  It was then that I noticed the person I assumed was her son with his finger in his mouth.  She slapped his hand and told him to present the finger and it was bleeding.  Ahh.  If I’d been her I’d have forcefully cut the line myself, had child’s health been at stake.  After you, mom.  



Sunday, 7/28/19



No comments:

Post a Comment