Monday, December 16, 2019

Gets Very, Very Deep





Get chopped pork and chopped beef.”  “Why both?”  “It’s the recipe.”  The Mrs. the younger one and her friend who is visiting this weekend all went off to Woodbury Commons.  Fortunately, I was not required to join them.  I sat in a thick green chair and wrote emails all Saturday.   Somewhere around four in the afternoon I left off for a bike ride, but only after confirming all the ingredients I’d need to pull dinner off. 



I went as far south as the point in the trail after the McMansions look down on the swamp where the wood gets very, very deep.  It’s the place where, about six weeks ago, I saw a black bear.  I’d otherwise have liked to have gone further but it was getting dark, I was on-point to cook dinner and it was probably best that I arrived before the ladies.  I paused though, for a moment, and listened to two birds bark back and forth at each other.  It would be wrong to call it “singing.”  I have a light on my bike.  I must revisit how to charge this thing, as it will come in handy during these dark months. 

Back home I arrived before the shoppers.  Soon after I helped them with all the packages and began the process of preparing burgers.  Mixed up the beef and the pork and the eggs and the bread crumbs.  We had a full bottle of canola oil and I figured I’d do what I could to “deep” fry the potatoes and the eggplant.  There was a whole lot of grease that my gal doesn’t appreciate but otherwise, the meal was solid.  Our international guest seemed to strongly enjoy. 



Big burgers, draped in cheese, mustard and ketchup bottles at the ready, this demands confrontation.  I don't have the equipment to serve up proper onion-rings.  These were just onions I’d fried in batter.  Frying the burgers, the cheese melt and stuck to the pan and there was quite a bit of  grease.  Unhealthy?  Likely.  Messy for sure, but it was delicious and I could tell by the lack of conversation that the both the kids agreed. 




Saturday, 11/23/19

No comments:

Post a Comment