Monday, May 4, 2020

Many Miles From Up




There is a bit of snow down there, in the lowest patch of the yard.  That must be the grass that receives the least amount of sunlight.  Hard to believe I was down there yesterday going around, and round in the snow.  A squirrel just walked into sight on the porch.  Unlike racoons they are always extremely cautious with every move.  He stopped, looked up at me momentarily and continued along.   He’ll find no seeds out there today.  But he’s going to check anyway.   The sun has already hit the Shawangunk’s and the light is slowly making its way toward me across the tops of the canopy. 



We’ll drive up and over that ridge today, to climb Slide Mountain.  I hope the sky stays clear as we should be able to see for many miles from up there.  I have a suspicion that if you got up another twenty or thirty feet higher than where we currently are, you could see that peak, as it is viewable from other parts of this area.  I’ll have to ask my stepson to bring his drone here so we can send it straight up to confirm. 

I ended a three-day fast yesterday.  It sounds dreadful from the front end, but it is remarkably easy, once you’re in the middle of it.  Coffee does wax bitter after the fourth cup and sipping water and unsweetened black tea all day is likewise, uninspiring as you go on.  But much of the day just proceeds ahead without much thought to food.  You would think sitting down with the family to dine and not actually dining would be torture, but it is oddly no issue at all.  I still have a paunch, but I can feel it’s tightened a bit.  I’m thinking I might do another one next week.



Now the sun fingered its way right up to the trail.  There is a bare birch tree whose white bark is now completely illuminated, only one-hundred yards from me.  The ring of cedars closer in, still have no sunlight, but this buoyant progression of illumination is unstoppable. A big blue jay just landed on the railing.  He’s looking for seeds too.  He is also, perennially nervous, always looking left and right before darting off.  If hawks and owls were predators the size of a tetradactyl, I’d be nervous too. 

Happy Birthday, John.





Sunday 04/19/20


No comments:

Post a Comment