Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Waddling Full-Waddle After




Up early for a call.  Rolled around in the bed alluringly positioned, there in the office, trying to get some reading done before I’d have to be up.  Many, many people wanted me to do facilitate the middle of an argument and get it settled and I just wasn’t in much of a mood for that.

The national news is overwhelmingly bad and before I dove in to the morning paper, I pushed forward with my "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl", which is a different sort of window into Dante's Inferno than what you get with say Solomon Northrup or Fredrick Douglas. 



My wife asked if I’d join her for a walk.  I’d gotten in a good bike ride earlier in the day but sure, I could take the time for a stroll now.  Glad I did.  I seemed to be tripping over new species, a list of which I'd identified with my Seek app, is written out below: 

Back on a fast and as a result, without alcohol in my system I’m up late.  My wife just came in convinced there was one and then a dozen people outside blinking lights, but they turned out to be fireflies which I haven’t seen yet, but will look forward to welcoming. 

Oh, I should tell you I’m continuing to dig into the oeuvre of John Gilmore on all his dates as a sideman, outside of the work with the Arkestra.  “Limbo” is a song on the pianist Andrew Hill’s album “Compulsion” from 1967, recorded there at Rudy Van Gelder studios in New Jersey.  There are two such dates he did with Andrew Hill as earlier mention, and Gilmore always sounds majestic like a Shakespearean' king. 



And a remarkable scene the other day, yes, yes.  Right below me.  I’ve long worried what might happen to the big, fat ground hog were he to have been confronted by the wily, orange she-fox.  Oddly, she always visits in the early morning and he often comes out early afternoon. (genders, mind you have been anthropomorphized.  I really have no idea.)   I’ve never seen them meet up.   Today I looked up startled to see something completely unexpected:  the ground hog was waddling full-waddle chasing after the she-fox.  And while she could outrun him, I’d say it was only just so.  I had absolutely not predicted that the groundhog would catch an attitude and enforce lawn etiquette.  The groundhog is usually only concerned with eating grass and never disturbs his neighbors, but it was almost as if this time, the groundhog was sticking up for all the squirrels and mourning doves and other animals the fox usually scares the life out of.   More likely "he" wanted to be sure the fox go nowhere near "his" nest and offspring. 

Cited today:  Black Ash, Eastern Black Walnut, Meadowsweet, Bird Cherry, American Trailplant, Tall Hairy Agrimony, Common Jewelweed, Orchard Grass, Creeping Thistle, Common Evening primrose, Lady’s Bedstraw, White Mulberry, Northern Catalpa, Alternate-leaved Dogwood, Musk Stork’s-bill, American Pokeweed, Pale Jewelweed, Fringed Sedge, Allegheny Blackberry, Common Columbine, Yellow Sweetclover, Pacific Crab Apple, Wild Yam, Virgin’s-bower, Common Milkweed, Meadow Buttercup, Greater Periwinkle.



Wednesday 06/03/20


No comments:

Post a Comment