Sunday, December 5, 2021

Strawberry Type of Cheerios

 



My dad and I continued our weekly exploration of this Empire Trail path that links the Walk over the Hudson out to New Paltz.  Drove over to the Rotary Club Caboose.  This is few miles down the road from where New Paltz Road veers off of 299.  We’ve walked the first few miles from that lot there across from Lowes the about three weeks back.  The next Friday we continued on from there, beneath the old stone house there up on Kisor Road along till the next underpass.  Man was it cold that day.  Last week in snowed and we didn’t go out. Today we traced the trial down nearly all the way to Highland.



One house there along the trail had a whole lot of tall bamboo.  What was it doing there?  Where do you buy that?  It looked so tall, and full and green in the winter.  The deer weren’t going to mess with this bamboo, unlike the stalks in my backyard.  One or two other couples were out on the trail but for the most part we had the path to ourselves and though it wasn’t the pristine wilderness atop the Gunks, it was helpful to slow down the pathway I’d otherwise only sped along in a car. 



 

My dad had a visit with his old pal.  They went to grade school together and later college.  He said they got together and picked things right up from where they last left off.  I asked if they laughed for I imagined that to be one of the most precious things about getting together with old mates and yes, they’d gut laughed.  But interestingly they didn’t spend their time reminiscing.  I can only imagine I’d want to spend some time in memory lane. 

 

Later I had to take the little one over to pet store to get her older sister’s lizard some meal worms.  I dropped her off at the near by Barnes and Noble and I told her I’d get a few things at Stop and Shop before heading over to my moms.  My shop took a while.  The place is enormous.  I was a bit overwhelmed and when I got in line and called her and asked if she was almost ready she suggested she’d called me three times already and was standing at the car with the espresso I’d ordered.  I looked at my phone and it didn’t show her as having tried to call.  A chatty woman in front of my was buying a strawberry type of Cheerios because it was on sale.  It made me want to look away.  It made me sad. 

 

 

 

Friday 02/26/21

No comments:

Post a Comment