Friday, November 13, 2015

In the “I’m-a-Human” Section




I can see by the inflight map that we are over lake Tai in Jiangsu.  There were no economy flights available so I’m sailing down in business class.  Oh, it’s grand.  The first thing one does is develop a different estimation for the people who are sitting next to you.  This gent here, perhaps he’s someone.  He’s reading a book in Chinese about the decline of English industrialism.  I have already made assumptions about the book’s premise, line of argument, conclusions.  I’ve also concluded that this man is a businessman with the time to pursue ideas.  A rare breed whom one would be less likely to encounter back in the cattle car.    I’ve laid my books out so he can see them and develop an idea about who I am, as well.   Perhaps its just the space between us that allows for a more benign estimation of my fellow traveler. 

We’re landing and with every pass of the stewardesses I presume I will be told to close it out.  For now I will continue.  Again, I think they are more forgiving up here in the “I’m-a-human” section of the plane.  And all of this schlepping, for one meeting.  I certainly hope it is productive.  It’s the kind of meeting that could be fortuitous, so of course, this trumps all other objections. 



I managed to squeeze in calisthenics and meditation before darting out this morning.  Still, the planks and sit-ups and all did not leave much of a tautness in my abdomen.  I have eaten my duck meal and stomach is alas, hung, lazily over my belt.  I imagine myself walking swiftly, once the plane lands.



My mission is to get online.  I have a dozen emails I need to send out.  The airport Wi-Fi seems to automatically block any attempt to use a VPN.  As a result there is no way to use Gmail.  The phone app for Gmail is also thwarted.  I don’t think I’ll have much luck in the Shanghai airport, neither.  Perhaps the prospect meeting host will let me get on their guest Wi-Fi. 


I’m amazed that I’ve yet to be told to pack up the laptop.  I will do it now, without a prompting.

No comments:

Post a Comment