Friday, November 13, 2015

Returning Briefly to the Comma




Ike Quebec.  I keep going through the things I’ve uncovered and saved on my Rdio app.  Here’s a guy I really haven’t heard in a while.  This “Soul Samba” album sounds lovely.  He’s slow, deliberate and I’m sure was overlooked in the days of flaming bebop.  Yet this is is logical bridge from Coleman Hawkins over to Sonny Rollins.  I have the volume up and I can feel Mssr. Quebec’s embouchure deliberately moving through each warm run.   His bends are so immediate one is tempted to bring the . . .

the
fufukl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,,

". . .  bring the pillow out and retire for the evening", perhaps?.  Can’t quite tell you where that thought was heading before I followed Ike off to nod.  Not clear what precisely was meant to be communicated by “fufukl.”  I note that I had a long rest on the comma key which slid up somehow or adjusted itself on to the “l” key before returning briefly to the comma.  Abstract expressionism from the dream world.


                                      
Running low on creativity, I made vermicelli with a pesto sauce and two-dozen meatballs tonight.  I had my older one in mind as I knew she’d like them.  But she came home, pleading a bit of a cold and went straight to bed.  She’s up now, late, and fortunately she devoured the remaining pork and beef balls, as I’d intended.  I made a carrot soup as well, and strained all the roughage out.  Some parsley, salt, garlic.  I was happy with the outcome.  But it was not especially well received by everyone else, as I moved the untouched bowls to the sink.  Never easy to cook for everyone, especially on the quick, especially when the audience shifts from pescatarian to omnivore, with a weekly cadence. 




Kenny Burrell is the guitar player on this album and he keeps doing this deliberate, pronounced low-E string slide that defines this album as much as any notes of Ike Quebec.  I looked to the album cover thinking it was Grant Green.  The picture of the woman on the cover is unintentionally frightening.  The shadows give her fangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment