Thursday, June 30, 2016

Insufferable Sufferers

Am I the only one with the odd masochistic desire that loved ones forget a holiday commemoration, so that I can suffer quietly and then hold it against them later when they realize they have all missed acknowledging the weekend’s Hallmark holiday?  I suspect I could start a grumpy support group of other insufferable sufferers.  “No.  Don’t worry about it.  It’s no big deal. “



As it was everyone remembered early so I could get over my quiet martyrdom before festered into something ugly.  A note from my stepson and then a mention from the Mrs.  There’s not really much else to do once the basic ritual of acknowledgement has been addressed.  “Thanks.”  “So, what are you doing?”  “Oh.  Nothing much.”  My little one caught word and drew me a picture, which was sweet.  And later that night, around the time that Father’s Day was dawning for my father and step father back home whom I dutifully called early, my daughters decided they would make dinner, which was lovely, if rather starchy and cheese-draped. 

Speaking to someone in Australia later in the evening:  “Well, a Happy Father’s day to you.”  “We don’t celebrate it during June in Auz.  We celebrate it in September. “  I see.  I wonder how that happened?  Is it something driven by the rhythms of the Commonwealth?  Has a local card company mandated something that speaks to their springtime as their Australian winter passes? Who decided the date for their commemoration? 



There are plenty of holidays I don’t much make time for but I’ll spare some time in my day to honor paternity.  I was blessed with a great father, and a great step father and I’ve learned from each of them how to fulfill both roles myself.  And I’m thankful that I didn’t have to stew in my own spoiled juices for very long that morning. Some things do suggest there is wisdom with age. 


No comments:

Post a Comment