Saturday, June 11, 2016

Mine has a Roof and Wipers




The vacation continues . . . for everyone else.  Dragon Boat has gotten everyone an official four day weekend.  Odd to wake up and not have any kids here.  They all slept over at their friends'.  An early glimpse into the ‘nester’ vibe.  It’s still six years or more away.  But at this point in life, I know how fast that kind of time can fly.  Finish up the calisthenics and it’s usually time to go wake everyone up.  What’s a modern dad to do?  I we-chat my girls and ask if they had fun.  The little one is awake she we-chats me back.  She did.



Joe Pass as I were both born in New Jersey and grew up somewhere else.  He in Johnstown Pennsylvania and me in Harrison New York.  I’ve always known about him on other people’s albums.  But today, my solo soundtrack is his graceful phrasing and lightening solos.  I’ve made my way to a duet of his with the rapid fire Danish bass giant Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.  The two of them were the only one’s apparently who could keep with the quicksilver flurry of Oscar Peterson on the keys.  I’ll have to synch this album to my phone.

I took the time, when I last saw them to explain that Hillary’s nomination, whatever else you might say about her, is a remarkable achievement and finally, from the days of Seneca Falls and “Ain’t I a Woman Too?” a major U.S. party has nominated a woman to lead them.  I gotta believe that me and more than half the nation will now see it through to fruition.  The alternative is unfathomable.  Quickly now, the party will coalesce around her; Obama, Biden, Warren, etc.  How refreshing to finally hear them all call out the hypocrisy of the GOP leadership and their timorous support for this nincompoop.



Whatever ‘nesting' atmosphere that had prevailed around here has been properly dissipated.  My little one just called and issued her demands: “Pick me up now.  Someone’s coming over with me and another friend will join us later that evening.”  Off we go for a drive in the rain that has suddenly begun to fall.  A late afternoon rain that falls in the north, like the monsoon of the south: heavy and short.  Glad I’m not out in a dragon boat or at least that mine has a roof and wipers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment