Saturday, January 14, 2017

Befuddled by Claris




I’ll be missing the Yenjing Noel this year.  A Christmas in your own house is always grand but it’s all rather pointless everywhere else in the city.  I got a message from United this morning: “Your plane is delayed by two and a half- hours.  Well, ok.  In that case I’ll go two and half-hours later.  But wait.  Just because the plane is delayed will they keep the check in time open in accordance?  Don’t know.  That’s what United are there for.  I called someone who introduced herself as Claris.  I asked her if she could clarify, but her answer wasn’t clear.  “Just in case, go early.”  I was open for a “yes” or a “no: this is the policy.”  Befuddled by Claris, I was left to sift through the grey. 

Running over now I’m definitely past the normal check in time.  It’s only fifty minutes to the scheduled departure.  With an international flight, if I hadn’t known that it was to be delayed, this would be open and shut. Two things are fluttering about in my mind:  I already checked in through their online prompting.  “Yeah.”  But I also know that because they need to check the visa that isn’t precisely complete yet.  And, I don’t exactly have a boarding pass.  The other item is “Hey, you wrote me twice to say all was delayed.  I’m acting in accordance with what you told me. Yeah!”  



And neither of those “yeah” moments may be enduring.  If I’m hit with “interesting point but, no.” to both objections, well, then I suppose I’ll lick my wounds, check the cancellation terms and head back home.  I’m suspecting we’ll be ok.  I could also jump up and down and tell them I was a “1 K” member.  I’m sure that will wilt fast as well if the first two didn’t make it.   There’s always more lofty status beyond whatever I’d be claiming was so important.



I’ve got a bald driver who was heading along with a lackadaisical conservatism that I quickly disposed of with the prospect of a tip, if he drove with vim.  He is.  I’m getting on my battle gear and burnishing my tough inner core for the potential need to argue it out.  Then again, perhaps it will also go smoothly.  Putting the computer away.  I hope when I pull you out again, I’m seated at the Starbucks with a boarding pass in my pocket. 


Fifteen minutes later:  . . .  Boarding pass in me pocket . . . espresso in me hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment