Monday, May 8, 2017

Interested in Hearing Nothing




I must still be on Japan time.  I woke up comfortably an hour earlier than I normally would.  I tried to flop around for a while to return to sleep.  No luck.  I was up.

Now at the other end of the day, I am stuck on hold with Bank of America.  There is a recording of a guy talking who sounds like a high school principal from the heartland.  Then a woman who has a vaguely African American diction follows. They are both repeating their apologies for the delay.  I never thought I’d be so interested in hearing nothing but the hold music. I’m sharpening a sense of hate for them both.  The loop is unendurable.  Perhaps that’s the purpose.  Now they are each taking a turn at the messages, which the other offered last time.

My eyes have just about had it this late at night.  I want to rip them out and feel the fresh gaze of pupils without contacts.  But I know if I do, I wont be able to look at the screen and cognate anything.  And I do want to return to this.



Oh dear. Bank of America has put me on to another queue.  For a while it had the music but then I’m back to insipid duet.  I can’t log on to my online banking with any of the three computers or two accounts in the house.



A nice lady in Utica, New York was patient as I re-explained all.  She confirmed that there was nothing blocking my account, and that usually this was the result of a VPN issue.  I have more than one point of connection and suddenly thought to use my phone’s 4G WiFi to get on line.  I did but it disconnected the call.  This drew forth two select expletives.  But once I was off of a twenty-minute wait to reach someone, I knew at 11:36 at night I’d not be calling back.  And when I tried, now that I was disconnected, to get on through the phone connection, in worked. It had been the VPN that we use in the house.  Both the trouble shooters, whom I’d distrusted had been correct.

 So I’ve got a way around the problem but I suspect this problem will now become the new norm.



Tuesday, 05/03/17



No comments:

Post a Comment