Friday, May 5, 2017

The Sweet, the Salt, the Cream




Prep.  Prep.  Get yourself ready for this review and then you need to own the slides for the presentation.  This is the priority.  But it is exactly what I’d rather not be doing so I come up with fifteen other things to do first and then fret beneath my mind's busyness as the challenge swells in immediacy.

Tomorrow there will be no time to prep.  Tomorrow.  You’ll be up very early.  Then it will only be a few hours and you'll be on the hook.  And once that obligation has passed you will need to double-down on the big event in front of all those people that's looming like an even bigger planet sailing along on this trajectory.



But time and time again I don’t seem to have the discipline to stay focused.  I see the New York Times tab in the mosaic of Chrome choices.  There is probably a refresh on the page.  They've probably served up another item for me to consider.  Emails are important.  I'm hungry.  I'm not really hungry but I've begun to consider the taste of sharp cheddar mixing with raisins and salted sunflower seeds.  I'm up and in the kitchen.  A quick succession of cheese, a handful of raisons, paws bit of salted seeds, the sweet, the salt, the cream sloshing around in my mouth, just as I'd imagined.  Let's review these slides one more time.  I'd really rather not.  Will you look at that?  I'm down to the last swig of coffee.  Is that a nascent little bowel movement announcing itself.  There's a very good novel in the toilet.  Get real, yo.  You've gotta do this.  But not yet.



Everyone's busy.  "The little one is at practice.  You're going to get the older one?  Do you want me to make dinner?"  "No, I'll just get something from Jamaica Blue."  "Really?"  It doesn't sound very nice.  I don't want to eat a sandwich. “Is this one mine?”  “NO.  That’s veg.  This one is yours.”  The bread looks like and extra handle for my gut, but I sit down with three fourths of the family for a quick feed. 


Tuesday, 4/18/17

No comments:

Post a Comment