Sunday, November 26, 2017

This Rich, Regal Blue




Landed in Hong Kong.  It’s a three hour plus ride down and it was long enough of to finish off my time with Guy Crouchback.  “The Sword of Honor” seemed to confront the Second World War II from the periphery of the conflict.  Guy seems to probe into the war in Africa and again in Crete but rarely if ever come into direct combat with the Nazi’s themselves.  Like Waugh in Abyssinia we don’t really get to meet much of anyone besides the British themselves. 

I am all alone, on the train.  The song “All Alone” by Mal Waldron is on my mind. It’s so terribly sad it’s unforgettable.  I can’t listen to music as my phone however, as its drained itself to life support mode.  It’s late but the Airport Express into the city is oddly stuffed to the gills.  At first I have my bag on the seat next to me, but I quickly remove it so a young woman can sit rather than stand. 



For a while I couldn't figure out how to properly get on the train.  I went up to an ATM when I got in which promptly told me they couldn't help me.  This had me immediately convinced that my problem had to do with my bank.  They must have put a hold on my card because they were suspicious that I was using an ATM in Hong Kong.  I called, the call dropped mid conversation.  I called back and finally twenty minutes or so into the adventure I spoke with someone who confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my card.  They charge in question had never hit the account.  I should have simply tried another ATM.  When I did, I was fine. 




Checking in to the Sheraton Hotel. There is the classical Chinese painting in the hallway.  It’s of a big, sturdy Mandarin with pensive eyes and turned up shoes.  I love this painting and always remember it not for the man himself, but for the colors behind it, this rich, regal blue.  I couldn’t tell you why this blue is so commanding, but for as long as I can remember, it has always insisted I stop and consider it before turning to board the elevators.   




Wednesday 11/01/17


No comments:

Post a Comment