Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sun Cuts Mighty




Up too early.  No drilling noises outside this morning but I read one paper and then another and eventually decide I should head down to the gym, admitting that I’m up.  Even at 5:00AM there were already two determined fellas in there with me.  And you never want to bother considering much what anyone else is doing, but you do and what their doing always looks smarter and more effective than whatever it is you’ve decided to do.

One information session after another.  Even if it is interesting and this is, it takes rarefied commitment to keep one’s mind absorptive.  A proper diversion happens when a friend calls and I’m out on Tennessee Street talking about Vasily Grossman and what it was that Krondstadt really showed us about Trotsky.  The afternoon sun cuts mighty through the cold San Francisco afternoon bay breeze. 



Called from one event to another, headed to a club.  But that changed and we were heading to the restaurant, one that I remember so well from when I was a young father.  It is certainly the most consistently wonderful Greek dining I can recall enjoying outside of Greece.  Sixteen years ago I went there with my boss at the time who ordered up a fine spread, dining, laughing, making points, listening.  What an evening.  My boss rose, suddenly and said he’d have to leave.  “John, take care of it and expense it, would you?”  “Sure” says I, reluctantly.  It was three times what I’d ever paid for any dinner in my life. 



A pasta dish.  I really didn’t need it.  The meat others were having looked rather splendid.  This and we left with a choice around how to get home.  We chose to walk it instead of one more Uber.  We proceeded passed a venue.  Do you know I saw Van Morrison and Aretha Franklin this place, right here, says a friend.  It was the greatest hall in those days.  The Financial district gives way to this new SoMa sizzle-atop-shank aesthetic.  Upstairs I bravely cracked my book, took out my contacts and awoke with a start as the book fell off to the left with a thud. 



Tuesday, 02/27/18


No comments:

Post a Comment