Saturday, April 21, 2018

To Ignore the Pull





I talked and I typed and I didn’t pay much attention to where I was, here in Dong Cheng till I looked up and saw a canal path I didn’t recognize at all.  Where am I heading?  Is it this far south?  The driver knew what he was doing though and now we cut north, unexpectedly and pulled right up to the building I now suddenly remembered, just south of Changan Jie. I gathered my things, checked the seat and confronted the sharp blue day.  The plaza was packed with young people beginning their lunch break and I followed one and then another alluring office gal with my gaze, as she walked confidently across the street.

Up to the seventh floor.  A quick meeting.  One person I’ve hired doesn’t agree with the other person I’m working with.  They’re both polite.  I can only see one face in person.  The other is one the phone.  Internally, I’ve sided with the person on the phone.  Back to the lobby, and out to the plaza still scanning around expectantly.  I call another DiDi and wait now, already busy on another call. 



I look up once again, twenty minutes into the ride and I don’t know where I am.  We must be all the way over on the East Fifth Ring Road, but I’m not sure.  I’m speaking with a job candidate on the phone.  Someone I respect has introduced us.  I don’t think he’s said eight words yet, but from his verbal queues, his “Yup”s, his “Sure”s, I can tell his English is very good.  For this particular role, spoken English will be critical.



Back home in the early afternoon.  I’d meant to get coffee downtown.  I meant to buy coffee this morning.  The bag of Ethiopian espresso we’d been working was exhausted this morning.  That’s alright.  You don’t need coffee in the afternoon. Do you? If you’re tired take a nap.  But to paraphrase the late Lemmy Kilmister, I ought to be tired but rather I’m wired.   I could ride my bike over to the Costa.  I check.  The front tire’s full of air but the rear tire’s flat.  Wife’s not going to be home till seven.  I try once again to ignore the pull but I really want coffee in an uncommonly strong way.  Out in the kitchen I check the usual drawers and shelves and then, miraculously I come upon a long-forgotten tin of La Tazza with enough grinds for a good strong mugful.   The kettle’s on and the filter is full as I imagine the first taste absorbed in my shoulders. 



Friday 4/20/18



No comments:

Post a Comment