Saturday, November 17, 2018

A Real 60's Classic





We don’t watch many movies together.  I suppose that’s my fault.  I never watch television.  Other families seem to enjoy having movie-rooms.  I suppose they all gather round with popcorn and watch things together.  We even have a movie-room that came with this rental.  We don’t use it.  My wife used it for a while.  The kids played some PS2 stuff on the big screen for a bit.  But it always seems to fade out of fashion.  And I never complain. 

Last night my little one asked for a chance to repeat something we’d done the weekend before last.  “You play a song, then I get to play a song and then you get to go again.”  And if there’s a video component to this, that’s fine. This is like hanging out with my mates. I have a large screen that I mainly enjoy as a screen saver that we use and a reasonable pair of speakers that can help to get loud.  It’s as close as we get to shared video experience.


This evening my wife wanted to join, to everyone’s surprise.  What would she contribute?  Sure, grab a seat.  Go get your glass. The little one started it off with a song that had been stuck in her head by EXO: “Tempo.”  She was sensitive about this, because she felt she was somehow being disloyal to her favorite band BTS.  To be fair every other song she played for the next two hours was by . . . BTS.  I think I played Sham 69’s live version of “Ulster” from 1978 first and asked her to consider the ferocious, crowd participation. 


Your turn.  My wife walked over to the computer and pulled up a revolutionary opera!  Fabulous.  “The Red Detachment of Women.”  A real 60’s classic as they might say on rock radio back home.  The shrill strings call everyone to attention and characters seem to glow out during the credits.  My wife is so excited but my daughter has gone over to the computer and checked the time on the Youtube feed: “Hey ma, this is two hours and twenty minutes long!  The idea is you’re supposed to play a song, not a movie.”  Quickly she finds the dance she remembers learning as a girl, and is dancing about the room thrusting an imaginary rifle yelling “kill, kill, kill.” 


Sunday, 11/18/18

No comments:

Post a Comment