Saturday, November 10, 2018

Pulled for the Cobalt Blue





The morning rides are dark now.  At home in the U.S. of A., you’d have the artificial lurch of day light savings to make all suddenly somber.  Here the ground cedes gradually.  The ritual takes more time.  Where six weeks ago I could just pull on some shorts and grab wash cloth and go, I now need to prepare myself against the cold. A hoodie so I can pull the sack up and over my neck and don the big, orange, puffy coat I’ve had for a decade.  It has a tear where the zipper ripped the lining so down now flies out when I squeeze the coat tight around me to zip it.



 One article of clothing has been consistent from August till now.  I’ve had a short sleeve button up shirt on over my tee shirt so I can place my iPhone in that shirt pocket with the audio jack sticking up in the air.  The slightest knock will push it knob back out the hole it should otherwise rest in.  Putting the phone in a side pocket would necessarily fail.  And so, I must zip up my hoodie and zip my orange jacket very carefully.  Even so, I must reinsert and press play at least two times before I get it just right.

This morning I’ve reached for DJ Doom, the super villain.  I’ve had these albums downloaded to my phone and have listened to them in airports, mostly these “Special Herbs” albums. They are a poignantly tasteful mix that evoke the feeling of Saturday morning cartoons in the early seventies when cartoons were most of what the world could offer.  Color coded, I pulled for the cobalt blue album to start, Volume 7 & 8 with “Fo Ti” and the “magic message.” 



I can’t find any gloves so I have a thick pair of holiday socks on each hand.  I am fully aware that this looks ridiculous.  It’s too dark out.  Who will see to comment?  The gate that usually allows bicycles egress is closed.  No guard is sitting there. At this hour all traffic goes out the main gate and I make sure to catch the guard’s eyes as I draw close so that the 2x4  doesn’t come crashing down upon me.  Out on the road, to the right of the pylon markers, I click the gear so it’s harder to pedal and enjoy the stillness. 



Wednesday,11/07/18

No comments:

Post a Comment