Saturday, March 16, 2019

Lots of New Bridges





I’m riding beneath a rather lovely bridge. The cables sweep down like the webbing of scallop shell.  I asked my driver: “it seems as though Fuzhou has lots of new bridges.”  He agreed but suggested that this one was actually rather old.  The new ones are all back down toward the river, where there was lots of new infrastructure, highways, and bridges and elevated rail tracks.  Of course there are endless apartment buildings as well, like the forest of buildings beside me now.   

My first trip into Fuzhou did not yield much of any visit into the the “old town”  I’m trying to imagine what it might look like.  There probably isn’t much beyond the street lay out itself that is very old.  All I’ve seen so far are office towers and cars and at least a bit o greenery.  I like what I’ve heard.  "There are nujllssssssj" he typed, as he drifted off to sleep. 




When I flew down, there was a child up and to the right.   The child’s aunt, or was it his grandmother, kept making funny noises to distract it from crying:  “Hu, hu, hu, hu.”  The child was screaming and this yelling back at him did nothing to stop him from crying.  Once can only imagine the child wanted to yell back “Shut up, granny!  I’m frightened and you’re not making it any better.”



Now I’m flying home from Fuzhou and there is another infant in the seat in front of me.  I think I uttered something like “oh shit.” Before I knew what I was saying and instantly regretted it.  There’s something vaguely unnatural about being repulsed by a child.  I was one.  I’ve had some. One shouldn’t be that way.  And indeed, so far jnr. has been pretty remarkably quiet.  It's uncanny.  These flights between the capital and Fuzhou have a higher quotient of young people, families, etc.  It’s not the seasoned business traveler types you find on the run from the capital to Shanghai or Shenzhen. 



Thursday 03/07/19



No comments:

Post a Comment