Saturday, March 30, 2019

Nature Had Been So Kind





I have to get work done.  I’d love to simply explore this city today, but if I don’t get some work done something is going to drop.  My friend went off to mass and I sat and I communed instead with the dozens pending bits I needed to follow up on.  He was back by eleven and by noon I couldn’t hold it off any longer and packed up my computer and got ready to enjoy Rio. 

We cabbed it over to the Pão de Açúcar and got ourselves a ticket for the cable car up to the top.  It was stunningly beautiful, of course, and from the mid station you could begin to get an idea of how the city was laid out and where everything was positioned.  It was good to have another person to discuss with and from the top were in superlative agreement that we couldn’t recall another city whom nature had been so kind to. 



With less than twenty-four hours remaining in our time in this city, we did what I reckon most other people do next which is cab it straight over to the base of Cristo Redento to take in the even more remarkable view from the summit.  A mist was rising from behind the statue, giving his serene expression even greater profundity.  Our cab driver Ricardo was waiting for us as arranged when we eventually came back down. 



Ricardo then took us up to old colonial neighborhood of Santa Teresa to a restaurant that was supposed to be delicious and have yet another view, but neither of these proved to be the case.  But they were kind, which was important, for as I left entered the restaurant to look around I realized I’d left my phone with Ricardo who’d left a moment ago.  I sat and absorbed the blow, of a phone loss.  No wechat communication.  No mobile internet.  No Uber.  I didn’t much enjoy the meal.  Instead I began to consider what my options were as to how to possibly recover this device from the Uber driver who has been such a lovely gentleman.



Sunday, 3/24/19

No comments:

Post a Comment