Sunday, May 5, 2019

But It Was Important




Old friend back in town.  Young.  Younger than me.  He explains away his identity as an American rather blithely.  He is unhappy with America for this reason and for that.  They are not bad reasons to critique America.  He suggests he’ll look around at different countries and find one that doesn’t tax him.  He just wants to find a place to work remotely from.  If I weren’t older I’d be jealous. 

Then I had to head back to the Sheraton.  I remember my wife and I stayed a night here around New Year’s six or seven years ago.  In our home city we were staying here to ensure that we’d get the requisite number of stays to re-qualify for their loyalty program, which sounds silly as I write it but was important at the time.  One more night was needed.  I can recall my wife looked out the window and saw the sign for some local company she was competing against and suggested they were bad news.  I doubt she’d even remember now.   But it was important at the time.  



I’m returning here or the fourth time in a while.  I need to have a call with Tel Aviv.  I’m running out of power and I need to charge my phone and I know that even though there is nowhere to sit and charge in the lobby I can do so on the third floor, the place where they host events.  I’d charged up there during some blockchain event a few months back.  Yes, there, in the back, is a couch, by the window, away from the cleaning ladies.  I find a place I can change and fuddle to get connected.



Downstairs later, just as the one call ends, my next meeting writes me.  He’s here.  This place is starting to feel Brazilian, as I’ve had meetings with three Brazilians here in the last few weeks.  This gentleman is earnest and apologetic or his faltering English.  Nothing whatsoever to apologize for, kind sir, it is I who can’t speak Portuguese and no, there is no point in putting up with my hobbled Spanish.  A good chat.  An interesting business.  He wants to come here.  That’s what I do. Perhaps we can help him to land here. We each have double espressos and agree that the coffee in Brazil is better.



Monday, 4/22/19

No comments:

Post a Comment