Sunday, May 5, 2019

Middle Seat in Economy





It’s a holiday here.  But no on else in the world much cares very much. I’ll be on one and then another call, buttoning down the fort, while others take a break. Got some contact lenses today.  That is a very important thing to snag.  The traffic though sucks mightily. That’s true to form. Fortunately I'm not in a rush just now.  I must remember that everyone will be heading to the airport today and so I should expect delays.  I’ll need lots of time for, as you well know tender reader, I don’t always afford the proper amount of time. 

Heading to Shanghai tonight.  I must make some food beforehand.  Not sure what to make.  The girls will be waiting for something and I’m on-point.  Perhaps I can duck into a store before getting home and do the needful.  Don’t try to cook and be on a call though.  You won’t get anywhere.  What’s the number of that burrito place?  One and then the other girl confirms:  “We just ate there.  I don’t want a burrito.”



I make dinner but its quick and I’m chopping while I’m talking.  If I go too deep into the kitchen the connection will drop.  If I’m not careful and don’t have things on mute they will figure out quickly that I am multi-tasking.  I bring the cutting board and the knife and most of the ingredients over to the table at the side of the kitchen, closest to the WiFi.  



Flying now.  Two hours later.  Someone else is viewing New York.  A movie has cast it as an essential backdrop and it looks like the same New York where real things happen.  Sitting in a middle seat in economy, nibbling on a shaobing.  Up ahead someone has a remarkably simple anthropomorphic cartoon running along.  To my left is a teen super hero flick.  Off to the right something that looks like an Asian comedy.  Asian people are laughing.  It’s a drag to sit in the middle.  You get a nice view of everything.  None of which you want to see.


Wednesday, 05/01/19



No comments:

Post a Comment