Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Fifty-Feet Up Ahead





Biking along passed the apple orchard on the way down toward Gardiner, the road has a marvelous canopy and then crosses the small access road and opens on the left to a swamp area that had brilliant wild flowers, just a few weeks ago.  Up on the hill are the backsides of four or five McMansions that seem overbuilt and gaudy.  The canopy returns shortly thereafter and it’s forest on both sides not long after and just as I was pedaling along I noticed to my great surprise a black bear on all fours, fifty-feet up ahead on the path. 

For a moment, he (or she?) didn’t recognize me.  I didn’t think to slow down.  I wish I’d thought to stop and photograph him.  But as it was I continued along, crunching pebbles and sticks with my bike tires and he turned, saw me and galloped along, off the path and into the woods much quicker than I would have been able to.  By the time I arrived at where he’d been, a moment later, there was no trace of him left, anywhere that I could see, as I stood there, staring off into the woods.



I think that may be the first time I’ve ever seen a bear in the wild, here in the New York area.  Once, when I was about twelve, we went out to Montana and from the safety of our automobile we saw a grizzly ravaging a dumpster.  That was a tremendous animal, infinitely larger than your author.  Today’s bear, by contrast was certainly larger than just about any dog I’d ever seen.  But he wasn’t as large as me.  I’m sure I might have felt different if he were chasing me or there were a group of bears or, most importantly if I were on foot, instead of on a bike.  But as it was, he seemed cute and not particularly imposing. 



Later I passed a gentleman, who was walking two lovely, tall, well-groomed dogs.  I couldn’t tell you the species, but they were certainly not mutts.  I reached my mile-marker where I generally turn around and heading back passed him again.  I decided to let him know, as though I don’t suppose there was any danger to him, personally, I couldn’t really say how a bears and dogs would get on.  He wasn’t the least bit concerned and instead reacted the way I suppose I would have which was to say: “Really?  A bear?  Oh.  Cool!”  I marked the spot where I’d seen the lumbering body, but he was nowhere to be seen as I passed on the way back.  Perhaps we’ll meet again some other morning. Perhaps he still has room to grow into a yet again larger bear?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             


Tuesday, 10/08/19

No comments:

Post a Comment