Sunday, October 6, 2019

Infinitely Complicated Persian Rug





Warm day.  October 3 and it was 85 degrees.  I walked my daughter up the hill to where her school bus picked her up and bid her farewell.  On the way down the drive I marveled at all the fallen leaves and fallen pine needles that formed such remarkable patterns on the ground.  The maple, behind the house has started to turn.  The poison ivy vines that pull at some of these cypress trees are now yellow and red.  But most of the trees have yet to turn though there are many now here on the ground. 



Listened to some Caetano Veloso and savored his rich vowels, imagining I could understand all that he was saying.  I spend the mountain bike down the hill and remembered to put into a low gear, before breaking and lifting the front wheel and then the rear, over the fallen tree, there in the yard, so that I can pedal up the trail after I’ve crossed.  Soon I’ve wound through the deer trail and have plopped down onto the rail trail. 



Leaves, again, the theme.  I head south towards the town on Gardiner.  Someone from South Korea is going to call in forty-five minutes so I can’t go too far.  The path is generally grey gravel.  But today, most of the path is completely blanketed in yellow leaves and the patterns are extraordinary, like some infinitely complicated Persian rug that continues to dazzle with each pass through a new canopy dropping. 

Later that night I visit the Tops grocery with my niece.  I have it in my mind to make pizza for everyone tonight.  There’s no such prepackaged dough available to do that with in Beijing, and at the new place, no oven.  I buy peppers and eggplant, and decide they need to be cooked before they go on the pizza.  But they become moist.  And the dough has been stretched too thin.  I take them out early and the crust isn’t done yet.  Later, it is clear that the toppings are too moist, too heavy for the crust and it turns into more of stew than anything you can lift and eat as a slice.  My last pies had been perfect, but these are pies I publicly apologize for.



Wednesday 10/02/19


No comments:

Post a Comment