Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Doing This, and Now





I imagined doing this and now I was driving my daughter across the bridge to school.  She could have taken the bus, but I wanted more time with her after being away and she wouldn’t complain about being able to rise from bed a half-an-hour later.  There’s a new Mamamoo song. I found that out last night, when they met me at the bus stop.  She keys it up and it’s on for the ride up the driveway. 

It’s a bit lopsided but she gets to play her tunes all the way to the exit to the bridge.  I am getting better and discerning the genre of BTS songs.  That was from an early album, right?  The rhyming, such as I can make out is rawer, the hip hop allusions more pronounced.  When it is my turn, I ask her to cue up “Something Else” by the Kinks and before I know it, we’re viewing the Hudson River and listening to Waterloo Sunset, considering Terry and Julie and their fearless, twilight perambulations about London.



She’s off to her school day and I keep on with the Kinks, considering “Mr. Pleasant,” and drive on over to my mother’s place.  This school drop off time doesn’t really fit for her and her husband.  This is the second time I’ve been here at this time, knocked on the door, called on Wechat and then gave up and got back in my car to let them enjoy their early morning upstairs. 



Before I’d left, I’d gotten the bird feeder back up.  Wasn’t sure if this would be contentious or not with the Mrs.  It isn’t. There is a downy woodpecker at the suet-holder, and she is photographing him.  This fella is chased away by an enormous downy woodpecker with a fiery red belly and when my wife captures his image and shares it with my step dad, who is up by now, he confirms that this is indeed and appropriately named, the Red Bellied Woodpecker.  He seems so muscular in comparison to the other birds, as he grabs the cage and twists his body around to access the suet.  I’ve a clear line of sight, to his crimson belly. 



Friday, 11/15/19

No comments:

Post a Comment