Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Whaling Ships Sailed




We drive across river today.  I used to do this a few times a week.  Now it’s a big deal.  I do my best to point out the Hudson River, now that we’ve had a class about the Erie Canal and the War of Independence, and later, during industrialization this is where the whaling ships sailed from Poughkeepsie, right down there.  This was a whaling town.  This was a river town.  No one seems particularly interested.  



What was I listening to?  It was “my turn” and I put on "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", if I’m not mistaken. A friend in Japan, had send me a Youtube rockumentary of Steve Winwood which turned out to be marvelous.  I watched about twenty minutes three times more more before I finally finished it.

First off, it is clear that Eric Clapton is available for interviews concerning any rock imaginable from the time period concerned.  He was in the Hendrix documentary.  He was in the ones I saw a while back on Ronnie Laine.  I’d caught him talking about Ginger Baker as well.  And he’s always charming and informative.  It’s just that he doesn’t seem to miss any of these chances to comment. 



Winwood is overbrimming with so much talent as a ten-year old and then as a sixteen year-old and a nineteen year-old.  It was nice to catch up with him as a sixty-year old traipsing around the Cotswolds, reminiscing and engaging with neighbors who didn’t know him a sheep herder.  And you thought about him singing songs like "Roll Right Stones. : The same country he had escaped to at the height of his stardom in the late sixties. 



Friday 4/03/20


No comments:

Post a Comment