Saturday, July 18, 2020

But It Didn't Matter



Tuesday mornings, man.  They start at 4:00AM.  I got through three calls and had a one- hour break before the fourth one.  The trainer was still finishing his training when I got my shorts on and suited up my sneakers with these ridiculous tick-gators pulled up over my shins.  With the call done I got the bike out of the garage and leaned it against the house garage door, as the kick stand had mysteriously broken off, a few days back. 




A call.  Should I take it?  I ought to.  I’d promised to settle this and so I leaned against the car and gathered my mind to be present for what was an important conversation, I’d played out a few times with different conclusions in my mind over the past week.  I took the high road. 




By the time I was straddling the bike there was only thirty-five minutes till the next call.  I was supposed to have intelligent things to say on this conference, rather than simply listen.  There’d be no connectivity if I just tried to take the call on the trail.  My ride is usually a commitment that lasts about ten minutes longer than that.  I’d go to a certain point and turn around.  I do it one direction or the other every day.  So, I pedaled as hard as I could and I turn back wherever the mid-point was.  

No surprise.  You pedal a hell of a lot harder when you are pedaling against time.  I damn near made it to the bridge where I usually turn around but right about where a large bluff rises us to block an old home off the trail and the ground is all covered in ferns beneath the soaring Northern Red Oaks and Sugar Maples, I checked for a last time and acknowledged I was one minute too far and looped back around home.  I got back with three minutes to spare. Unpresentable visually, but it didn’t matter with the little zoom video camera blocked.  My voice sounded fine and I began the session, suitably exercised, by introducing my team.



Tuesday, 07/14/20


No comments:

Post a Comment