Saturday, October 31, 2020

Just A Bit Unpleasant

 



Pills are funny.  I have these ketones one takes during fasting.  Gelatin capsules, they aren’t too big, but they’re big enough.  A few months back I got one stuck on the way down and it was most uncomfortable.  So I pulled them open and poured them into a spoon and downed them that way.  Some such tastes are completely intolerable, but these were just a bit unpleasant.  Still one didn’t relish ingesting them. 



A month or so ago I took to just swallowing them again.  I’d mastered the process, it seemed.  But today, much of my afternoon was compromised as one of these sticky little things seemed to adhere itself to my esophagus.  Fasting, there was nothing in there to come up and push it out from within.  Water got clogged.  But it was almost tolerable.  You could almost ignore it.  And then you’d want to try to resolve the fist in your chest and it became clear that nothing had been disloged. 

 

A Winged Elm, a BigTooth Aspen, a Dogwood, a Sassafras, a Mapleaf Viburnum, an Oriental Bittersweet, a Norway Maple, a Common Hackberry, some Autumn Olive and an American Elm:  these ten species all still had leaves on them, during today’s bike ride.  I went south, towards Gardiner, leaving at 5:30PM when there was only another thirty-minutes of light to go.  I kept passing trees that looked so remarkable, with their late fall plumage.  On the ride back I decided I’d stop and identify the first ten I saw that merited a look. 



I haven’t used my Seek app so much this last month.  I used to search out new things each ride, and even if most of the attempts were things I’d already identified it was a good reminder and generally you’d find at least one or two new species.  The first two listed above were new sitings  This surprised me.  Trees I would have otherwise passed by assumed a new significance covered in leaves when most of the other trees had already shed theirs.  The massive oaks in front of our house, Northern Red, Southern Red, Black Oak and Pin, they all still have big brown leaves.  I’ll give them a few more days before I go and rent a leaf blower.




Wednesday, 10/28/20



No comments:

Post a Comment