Friday, October 11, 2013

The Imdad of Selcuk





My first stop last summer traveling with my daughters in Turkey and Greece was the Roman ruins of Ephesus.  We came in straight off a red-eye from Beijing into Istanbul, changed planes and flew to Izmir.  From there we cabbed it over to the nearby town of Selcuk, still early in the day.  I’d secured a load of new music for the trip.  New music listened to in a new location fuses somehow and is stored in the brain differently than music you listen to in a familiar location.  Then, forever when you listen you ignite an aural memory of that place. 

I got the front seat with the pleasant Izmiry driver, who didn't quite understand how I could be an American from Beijing.  Outside the summer sun and barren, scrub hills off to each side that remind one of California.  The girls crashed out and I enjoyed the music of Gusatvo Ceradi who hails from Argentina and presumably also knows a thing or two about barren scrub hills.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo_Cerati   This, his solo release from 1999 entitled “Bocando.” It seemed an appropriately optimistic way orchestrate an initial encounter with Turkey.

We arrived mid-morning.  The hotel room wasn't ready and the proprietress, a lovely woman, sent us around the corner to have a look at the local mosque, the Isa Bey:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0sa_Bey_Mosque



Our travel callouses were not yet hardened when a pleasant older man approached and introduced himself as the imam. Explaining that he too, was a father, the girls punned that he was in fact an “im-dad.” Irreverent punning gives me great hope for the next generation.  He showed us around and later wrote out my daughter’s names in Arabic.  And as folks do, the imam pointed out that he was also the owner of a small stall.  After a lovely tour about, where he pointed out that this group and that group and this group too, who looked as though they were from the Paramus Mall, were all in fact from Iran, he showed us his wares. 

There many lovely tiles with Arabic script upon them: one for "strength", one for "wealth" etc., and at some point he pointed to one and said "Sabr" صبر, "patience".  My girls jumped on it and said "get that for you and momma!" “What?  But that was mom’s fault.”  Just kidding.  Indeed. Guilty, as charged, I bought it.  And it sits now on a table by the Bose speaker in the living room, where it will hopefully "inshala" do us all a bit of good.  



I’ve already referred to it more than once when things got hot and sabr was wanting.   Sabr, somehow, is always wanting, I’m afraid.  Patience, the virtue, is the counterpoint to the deadly sin anger, the second chapter and first sin explored in the Seven Deadly Starbucks.  Anger is set in Beijing, rising up like a bubble to explode.  I’m angry, China’s angry, and at home, in the street, navigating otherness in particular, it is easy to feel its 忍无可忍[1].  The im-dad probably gets angry too.  “Hey, you broke my tile.” 

I feel the fall air ride up my nose and fill my lungs  May we all cultivate great reserves of sabr.






[1] rěnwúkěrěn:  more than one can bear (idiom); at the end of one's patience / the last straw



No comments:

Post a Comment